dead fish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

dead fish

Postby silvermermaid » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:35 am

Hi there,

I've had my 10 gallon tank for approx 3 months. I had 13 fish and I now only have 2 left.

My water tests are spot on so I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem is. I do 20% water changes regularly.

It has been suggested that I may have something posioning the water i.e. ornaments. I have ornaments/plants specific to tanks etc. However I do have an unglazed terracotta pot which some people seem to think is the problem. Any suggestions?
silvermermaid

dead fish

Postby mr rosco » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:53 am

sounds an obvious question i know,but you need to rule out all possibilities,are you dosing the new water with the correct ammount of de-chlor? what temp is the tank set up at,are you sure your thermometer is working correctly?
live a lot,trust a few,but always paddle your own canoe.
mr rosco

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:12 am

What sort of fish were they? 13 fish sounds an awful lot in a ten gallon tank, especially one that is only 3 months old! How did you cycle the tank?

When you say your water tests are "spot on", what do you mean? Please can you post the actual test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Hope we can help..... just need a bit more info.
TigerBarb

Postby silvermermaid » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:18 am

I'm not sure the exact readings of the tests as my dad came round with his testing kit as it was more precise than mine and he tested the water. He just said that all the results were what they should be.

I added 5 tetras to ccyle the tank as was recommended by my fish store. I also had a clown loach, 4 mollies, a plec, 5 tetras and 4 guppies. Any fish I added I checked with my LFS as I was relying on them to provide me with the information.
silvermermaid

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:38 am

I'm sorry, Silvermermaid, but I think you need to find another LFS. That one has been giving you appalling advice!

Depending on the actual dimensions of the tank, a better guide to your max stock is about 10 inches (adult size) of small, slim fish. Your poor clown loach alone should have been able to grow to well over a foot long and would have become a massive, heavy fish. If the plec was a common plec, he should have reached 18" or so. Plecs and loaches are also better off in a mature tank.

I suspect your problems stemmed from too many fish in an uncycled tank. The good news is that now you can put things right....

What are the fish which you have left?
TigerBarb

Postby silvermermaid » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:41 am

Yea I had a feeling about all of that. I have 1 molly and my plec left :o( Poor things
silvermermaid

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 am

I've just been reading your other posts from earlier this month. I think you need to rehome the plec immediately and get yourself get a decent testing kit so that you can check for yourself whether your filter is cycled. The API Mini Master kit (about £15) is a good one. You must be able to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Your ammonia and nitrite levels should be zero. I don't think it would be fair to add any more fish until those toxins have gone.

Then you need to do your own research on suitable fish for a small 10g tank. I cannot really help you here (I only have one tank but it is 30 times bigger!!!) but there are many experts on this forum who can.
TigerBarb

Postby wadenator » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:15 pm

silvermermaid, im sorry that you lost so many fish, that can be seriously frustrating. but from what i think you had way too many fish in there as well. once you get your tank cycled there are still plenty of fish out there suitable for such a small tank, but again you don't want to get very many. nowhere near as many as you had. i have a twenty gallon with just six fish that are all on the smaller side.
instead of the plecos maybe you could go for some cory cats since they stay small and do a pretty okay job, it's not that large of a tank that you'll need that help keeping it clean. and you could stick with maybe a small (around 3-4) school of other fish that'll stay smaller (danios, smaller tetras, platies, mollies, guppies, etc)
wadenator

Return to Help!