stressed fish

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

stressed fish

Postby wattsy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:36 pm

Hi, yesterday I done a 3/4 water change to my aquarium I have added waterguard and water safe in the correct dosage today most of my fish are ata the top of the tank gasping what have I done wrong how do I help them
wattsy

Postby Tigerhair » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Hi wattsy :D It could be a number of things... can you tell us about your tank - how long has it been running, what fish are in there, levels of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite etc. Three quarters of the tank is quite a lot of water to change at once, is this normal for you or did you do it because of a problem in the tank? Did you disturn the filter medium or the gravel/sand?

I know, questions, questions!! However, it will help us to find out the reason as quickly as possible and help your fishes.

:D
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

stressed fish

Postby wattsy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm

went on holiday for a week left my daughter watching tank she left light on constantly got home to find a very green tank including all plants so done the water change and scrubbed the plants in just tap water didnt touch filter or gravel 3ft bow fronted tank with a few angel fish a few glow lights and a small plec tank has been set up for 8months prior to this
wattsy

Postby Tigerhair » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Um, phew that was hard to read!!! :) Do you know if your daughter over-fed your fish and have you tested the water levels since you've been home?
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

stressed fish

Postby wattsy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:06 pm

if anything she under fed them, have never tested water levels have never been told I should test
wattsy

Postby Angel Fish » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:11 am

You really need to test for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte.

Is the filter running ok?
Does the water at the top of the tank "ripple"?
Has the temperature in the tank risen?

Cleaning the decor in tap water may be causing a problem. Do you know if your water company adds chloramine to the supply?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Help!