help please

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

help please

Postby aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:05 am

noticed although my guppies are now reproducing well some have been looking abit 'low' for a week with the odd female dieing. I had a hard look yesterday and noticed alot of damaged fins so i treated with a fin rot and bateria treatment after doing a water change. hopefully this will sort it but have just noticed what can only be described as 'black eggs' on the underside of of alot of the plant leaves. My tetras also look agitated but i put that down to natural causes as they are a couple of years old. What is happening to my tank. any help wpuld be great thanks as am woried about these eggs

cheers aidan
aidan

Postby Tigerhair » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:09 am

Hi aidan, welcome to TTT :D You've come to the right place, we'll try and get to the bottom of the problems and sort your tank out as soon as we can.

Right, before we have any ideas, we need some more information:

What fish do you have in your tank?
How long has it been set up?
How big is the tank?
What are the levels of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in your tank?
How often and by how much do you do your water changes?

Well, that's it for a start!
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:21 am

cheers, right this may surprise a few but the tank has been set up for at least 2 years without a problem. it contains 8 or so neon and cardinal tetras, countless guppies (probably too many now) 2 purple harliquins, 2 pictoque (sp and name lol) gouramis, 1 algea eating sucking loach and 3 other loaches. it also houses a huge java fern and a smaller one with a few small floating plants. I think on the top of my head it holds 80 litres and i do the changes quite often although beacuse i have never had problems i have never checked the water quality
aidan

Postby Tigerhair » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:23 am

Hmmm if it were my tank I would get a water testing kit and see if there's a problem with nitrates or something before I looked at anything else. You could certainly be overstocked which would stress the fish out. Have you added anything recently?
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:29 am

i haven't added anything for well over 6 months, to be honest i can't remember the last time i did but in the last 2-3 months the guppies have bred rapidly. this may be my naivety but i believed the live plants would keep the water in tip top condition reguarding nitrates etc. the thing im worried about the most is the black eggs
aidan

Postby Tigerhair » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 am

I think that they have bred too much for the tank, to be honest (although I don't know how many there are, if you can't count 'em...!).

I'm afraid I don't know what the black things are - but I am sure someone will soon.

In the meantime, I would suggest a 10% water change daily as the plants will only help a little bit with the nitrates. What filtration do you have?
Tigerhair

Postby aidan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 am

Tigerhair wrote:I think that they have bred too much for the tank, to be honest (although I don't know how many there are, if you can't count 'em...!).

I'm afraid I don't know what the black things are - but I am sure someone will soon.

In the meantime, I would suggest a 10% water change daily as the plants will only help a little bit with the nitrates. What filtration do you have?

this is my set up http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=111&PROD_ID=01037320030101

i think :mrgreen:
aidan

Postby Wolfgirl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:20 am

The black things are normal for java fern "reproduction." If you leave them alone, they should develop into daughter plants. I'm not too technical with the terms, but you should see what I mean in a short while. :)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:54 pm

If the tetras are looking agitated then something must be wrong and most likely it is the water quality. The plants will certainly help keep the tank balanced but with those guppies breeding non stop the balance has shifted and now you are having problems.
The damage on the guppies is most likely due to fighting. Check the sex ratio. You should have lots more girls than boys and after they have bred for a couple of years the ratio can be upset.
Leaving female guppies to breed continually shortens their lifespan and they often sicken and die.
Carylnz

Return to Help!