How to feed rainbowfish...?

Get help on those urgent fishkeeping problems!

How to feed rainbowfish...?

Postby TigerBarb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 am

I bought 5 Lake Kutubu Turquoise Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris) on Thursday. They are stunning fish, about 2.5 - 3 inches each. However, I am struggling to get them to feed....

I have tried:

Floating flakes/crisps and bloodworm - all gets snapped up by other tank occupants before it gets anywhere near the rainbowfish, who hang about in mid-tank waiting to be served.

Sinking catfish pellets/wafers - they had a taste of these as they sank, but spat them out. Obviously not vegetarian rainbowfish!

Semi-floating mini pellets inserted into a length of airline, inserted mid-tank and blown out into the rainbowfish's path... (see, I'm really trying hard!)... no, they spat these out too.

So now everyone else (barbs, tetras, corys, SAE) are hoovering up the remains of the mega-feeding session... and the rainbowfish are hanging about looking left out.

Any ideas, please...?
TigerBarb

Postby sunny23uk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:10 am

Hi :)

I would try either some live daphnia/bloodworm/brineshrimp, or defrost a frozen cube and try that.

I remember them being particularily fond of that sort of stuff, but were not particularily fussy and would eat granular/generic foods also.
sunny23uk
Site Admin

Postby moocowmoneybox » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:16 am

Hi Tigerbarb

Not sure if these would work for you but I use Tetra-Prima slow sinking granuals, although my tigerbarbs dont even let them start sinking before they have scoffed the lot :) (also means it wouldnt be a waste of money if the rainbows dont eat them as your other fish definately will :wink: )
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby TigerBarb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:23 am

Hi Sunny23uk... I will try these, but it just seems that whatever I do, the little tiger barbs just guzzle it down. They're only tiny tiger barbs, and I got fairly large rainbowfish so I thought they'd be able to stick up for themselves!

I guess this is a new business idea for an entrepreneur - develop a fish food that tiger barbs don't like!

Moocowmoneybox - now I know why your TBs have a tank of their own... any other fish would starve! I think the "semi floating" stuff that I've got must be similar to your "slow sinking" food....
TigerBarb

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:05 am

definatly try the frozen or live bloodworms and the live brine shrimp. I havent had a fish yet turn either down!!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby TigerBarb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 am

Thought you might like to see the hungry blighters..

TigerBarb

Postby David » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:15 am

oo, they are nice! Great pic too. :wink:
David

Postby TigerBarb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:23 am

Thanks David/Das - yes, they are quite a sight, aren't they? When they're 4 inches, they're going to be stunning! (Assuming I can feed them, that is!)
TigerBarb

Postby David » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:24 am

Maybe just try some boiled skinned peas?

Just a thought, even my danios go for it. :lol:
David

Postby krekra » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:39 am

Wow they are stunners!!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby JBC223456 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:46 am

Great looking Fish. I am going to get a group of 4 of them in a few weeks! :D

Rainbowfish are omnivorous, meaning they eat plant and animal matter.I read that there are certain seasons in the wild where the rainbow fish eat. There is a dry and wet season.

This site should help you out. :D
JBC223456

Postby Apistogramma » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:01 am

I had a similar problem with my platies and rams in the same tank and the rams getting left out - I distracted the platies with something like a tubifex block or floating granules and then dumped brine shrimp into the tank (it sinks very fast if you just squidge it all in) and they pounced on it.

They're beautiful fish - I was looking at some in the shop today and 'planning' another community tank out.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby prouton » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:27 pm

The other thing to factor in is that the Rainbows are new to the tank, and are apt to be shy at first. Hunger will eventually get the better of them (long before they're at risk of starving :wink: ) and they'll figure out that the dinner bell has been rung.

A food that Tiger Barbs won't eat? Not likely... :lol:
Current favorite movie line:
How could he get that far in five minutes?
The lady must have been willing.
prouton

Postby TigerBarb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 am

Well, they're obviously not too unhappy.... one of the males is flashing an amazing luminous orange stripe down his nose and is chasing one of the females into the bushes! He'll need breakfast after all this activity!

I've only got 6 different types of fish food at the moment, so I will buy every other type available, and my fish will have more variety than they know what to do with!

As you said, prouton, they will sort themselves out before they starve!

Thanks for the link, Jacob - a useful site!
TigerBarb

Return to Help!