New Year.......big changes

Off-topic general discussion area

Re: New Year.......big changes

Postby Carylnz » Wed May 18, 2016 5:39 am

No idea. Hopefully he will answer that for you.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby markee » Mon May 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Hotel is booked for Saturday night and the fish are reserved for collection on Sunday :D
markee

Postby Rockfish » Wed May 25, 2016 9:27 pm

Yes, I'm still at Wharf! :)

I'm not there on a Sunday though unfortunately so I won't get to meet you this time. Richard, the tropical manager, will be there, and also Tom who is very into his African cichlids, so either of them would be good people to sort out your fish for you. Hopefully plenty to see with the African cichlid room we put in last year that has nearly 100 tanks, and more than 500 tropical all together.

It can get pretty busy on Sundays, especially mid-afternoon, but it's not too bad just after opening at 10 usually.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby markee » Thu May 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Shame you're not going to be there, would've been good to put a face to the name.

I've been exchanging emails with Richard to reserve the fish so at least he'll know what i'm on about when i turn up :lol:

The store looks impressive, i did the shop tour thing on the website, how go a tool is that? i could zoom in that much i could see the price of the fish! I'm stopping in the Premier Inn up the road, hopefully a nice fry up in the Brewers Fayre next door before i get to you guys around 10(ish)
markee

Postby Carylnz » Sat May 28, 2016 8:56 am

Sounds like you have a fun day all sorted :-)
Carylnz

Postby markee » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:52 pm

Wow it's hard to believe the visit was 7 months ago :shock: Had a fantastic time, the guys and gals were spot on and the store was amazing (got any vacancies Sean? :wink: ). I'm looking to have another visit later next year. Well i started this thread nearly 2 years ago as i was due to depart the Falklands, mid Feb 2017 i will be departing the UK for another 4 month tour there!
markee

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 am

A bit repetitive aren't you? You need to travel somewhere different :wink: :rofl:
We enjoyed our visit to Sean's workplace too (so many years ago now!) but got a cuppa and a personal tour.
It has been exciting here with all the earthquakes. Our whole state highway 1, the main road down the east coast of the South Island, has been closed due to major quake damage and it will take a year or two to fix. This has caused big problems for freight. The main railway line has been destroyed, along with SH1, and the alternative road is winding and narrow and never built for the amount of traffic now on it, nor big trucks!
We were lucky as we had been overseas for a month before the quakes started so the water level in the 4ft had dropped a couple of inches (due to evaporation), and the rotala had overgrown and covered most of the surface. When the 7.8 quake hit, just after midnight 14th November, the plant baffled a lot of the water movement and the lower water level meant not quite as much mess on the floor as would have occurred had I topped the tank up and cut back the plant!
There have been constant aftershocks since, many between 5.5 and 5.8. Personally we have suffered no major damage. Luckily our tank has a solid wooden lid so when Grant's antique Ansonia clock came crashing down from above the tank, it bounced off the lid before hitting the floor. If there had been no wooden lid, the clock would have hit pretty much centre of the top of the front glass and we would have had an even bigger mess plus dead fish everywhere.
Carylnz

Postby markee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Well if was my choice i certainly wouldn't be sat 8,000 miles away from the UK :lol: If i had my fish tank, reliable internet and my missus with me, plus the weather being a drier and a tad warmer, maybe a little less windy too, then it wouldn't be so bad :rofl:

Do you notice any pattern with the earthquakes, ie amount increasing, quake more intense etc? We've had a few in the UK (i've not witnessed any personally) but certainly not on the scale you guys get!

The other downside to being away is it gives me plenty of thinking time, for example i'm toying with the idea of going back to mbuna, or maybe trying Tropheus, i would love to give Fronts another go but i think i would end up with divorce number 3 on my hands if i tried that :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 am

No pattern to the quakes but we have certainly had a lot over the past 5 years. A lot more than usual and bigger. We are due for a major quake and I fear these are just minor compared to the big one coming. NZ has a major fault line running through the middle of it plus a number of volcanoes so if the quakes don't get us (or tsunamis) a volcano will!
I am just about right out of fish these days. Still have the pond but waiting for EQC (Earthquake Commission) to assess the damage and accept our claim. The last big quake appears to have cracked the pond base. Every time we have a smaller quake it parts the crack(s) and most of the water disappears then the crack closes again! We need to line it but as the pond is 3.5m x 9m it will cost a lot. If our claim is accepted EQC will pay for it, or help towards costs at least.
The 4ft tropical is ticking along, self replenishing as the Odessa barbs and Ancustrus breed.
Carylnz

Previous

Return to General Chat