Baking on a cold, wet, day

Off-topic general discussion area

Baking on a cold, wet, day

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:57 am

Nothing I like better on a cold and wet day, apart from reading, is to bake. We have had two of those days this weekend and have gone from drought conditions to tornadoes (up north somewhere) and flooding (also up north). We have needed the rain desperately so can't complain. I also lit the fire for the first time this year as we head into winter.
Recently I saw a recipe for a Polka Dot cake and it so intrigued me I had to give it a go. The original was a very tall, 3 layers affair but I didn't have the right sized tins so made a single to start with, to check if it came out like the original here
Mine is nowhere near as fancy but for a first attempt I was pleased (and it tasted good)

I also decided to make some Triple Lemon Cupcakes, another first attempt at this recipe but I had some lemon curd I needed to use up and this recipe is a lemon flavoured cupcake filled with lemon curd with lemon icing on top. I also sprinkled them with lemon jelly crystals so perhaps out to call it a Quadruple Lemon Cupcake :mrgreen:

My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Baking on a cold, wet, day

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:05 am

I love the look of the lemon cakes - lemon is my favourite flavour for everything :? I'm not adventurous enough to try the polka dot one :oops:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:14 am

It was surprisingly easy and you get such a great looking result!

Major flooding in Nelson now (city nearest to us and 1 and a half hours drive from here). At least 3 resthomes are flooding, a 7m hole has appeared on one road and cars are floating away on another :(
Cops are calling for inflatable boats to try and make their way around Richmond, an outer suburb. As Nelson is a port city I am sure they will have no trouble finding boats.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:10 am

I think it's time we listened to Mother Nature - she's one p*ssed off lady :(
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Davy Jones » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Those cakes look great! My wife is very much into her baking, as I type this she is downstairs baking my little girls birthday cake! She has made some pretty wild cakes, she has done weddings and birthdays and allsorts! She loves baking them and I love eating them :lol:
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby Carolann » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Sounds like you are going to have a crazy winter like we in UK had, ( Good Luck), still getting weird weather at present gale force winds one minute then sun.
The Spring flowering bulbs are so late and we didn't have any rain for about 1mnth. Just hoping we don't get another wash out summer.
Carolann

Return to General Chat