Image hosting sites

Off-topic general discussion area

Image hosting sites

Postby markee » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:46 am

What image hosting sites are people using to upload their pictures?

I've used Photobucket for years and always been a fan of it, however last night whilst uploading pictures and tidying up old albums a message popped up saying i needed to use an updated version of Java to view an album. I was hesitant at first and came out of the album and went back in a few times to view it and the same message kept coming up, i have pop-up blocker on and it didn't look like any of the adverts plastered all over Photobucket so i clicked 'ok' to carry out the Java update. What followed was 4 hours of me trying to sort out my laptop :angry: It was an adware virus that installs something called 'Snap.do', basically it took over every web-browser on my laptop and defaulted it to a 'Snap.do' browser, it installed 'mypcspeedchecker' and other rubbish. It's from a developer/company/person/whatever you want to call em called Resoft. I had to reset my browsers and managed to uninstall all the other rubbish apart from the 'Snap.do', no matter how many times i clicked uninstall it would not remove it! Thankfully i was able to do a restore to a previous date and time, and that resolved it, however it has made wary of using Photobucket again. I have my photo's backed up on an external hard-drive so i'm not fussed about losing the photo's on Photobucket.

After the panic had worn off and i was able to restore my laptop, with a clear head i realised that if it was a true Java update it would have come through as a notification in the bottom right-hand corner of my toolbar :roll:
markee

Re: Image hosting sites

Postby Carylnz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 pm

I doubt it is Photobucket's fault either but it is annoying when stuff like that happens.
I use Photobucket too but I have the paid for version (no ads and other rubbish) so have not had that problem.
Many seem to use Image Shack and Flikr.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby markee » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:59 pm

I've just tentatively uploaded some more pics to Photobucket and all was good so i'll stick with it for a little longer, i'll just have to be careful what i'm clicking whilst i'm in there :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 am

My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby markee » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:09 am

I used a guide similar to that, everything worked to resolve it (reset browsers to default etc) but i couldn't do step 1, the uninstall part. I managed to uninstall all the other parts of 'Snap.do' ('Snap.do engine', 'MyPCchecker', etc) but i couldn't uninstall the main 'Snap.do' part, no matter how many times i tried it just hung over with nothing happening. Thankfully i was able to restore my laptop to a date and time previous to the virus, which removed it. :wink:
markee

Return to General Chat