Summer in NZ

Off-topic general discussion area

Summer in NZ

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 am

As I gather you lot are having a very cold winter, I thought you might like some summer pics from my garden. It is 27C today so very pleasant.
We cleaned out the pond for the first time in over 7 years last October. Hebes down the left were pruned heavily as they were hanging over almost half of that side of the pond.
The oxygen weed was cleared out as it was so thick the fish were having to carry machetes to get through it!
Last weekend Grant hung the hanging baskets off the end of the far deck. I planted them with ferns that had been growing randomly in places they were not meant to be (a result of throwing dying leaves from potted indoor ferns out the bathroom window!)
I will start with the pond pics then make my way around to the hanging baskets...

This is the pond taken from the verandah. It is approx 3m wide x 6m long and holds around 6,500 - 7,000 litres. The verandah has a second deck at a lower level that hangs over the pond by almost 1 metre. It goes under the overhang at the far end by about half a metre.

Closeup of the ferns hanging off the far end

Fish feeding

Centre of lawn to the right of the pond. The pond is longwise down the left of the front yard. This is the centre, then there is more to the right but not seen in this pic.

I am pleased with the hanging baskets. They are drip watered through an auto system. If they relied on me getting the hose out they would be dead :roll:

Here are some close-ups of a few of them...

My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Summer in NZ

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:03 am

Just for the hell of it I thought I would take more pics of my house and yard as I know our houses look totally different to yours!

This is the front lawn from the right hand end of the house..

Pond from far right of the front yard

Front yard from pond

Pond from right side

Front of house from right side. The new brickwork is where we removed the front door and put in the bay doors instead. There used to be a bay window where the open doors are now.

End of house. Other end is next to the fence so only has a path down that side. That other end has a reserve on the other side of the fence.

Back yard looking a mess since parts were dug up to install high speed broadband. The concrete will be dug up and new laid over the whole back area. Those 2 vehicles don't fit in the garages due to too much junk but the other two fit. The odd thing on the left is a portable generator that belongs to Vodofone. It is used during power failures at cell sites (Grant's work). It belongs in the new garage at the far left but is still out as Grant hasn't put it back since the man came to do its annual check yesterday. The far garage also holds the Chrysler vintage car. The MX5 is in the right hand garage. Centre garage is full of junk!

Carylnz

Postby 4eye » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:04 pm

these pics instantly made me feel better, the bright colurful flowers, blue sky,....i can almost feel that gentle summer like breeze(wishfull thinking!!)....bring on that sunshine!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Flame head tetra
Silvertip tetra
Glow light tetra
Neon tetra
Red phantom tetra
Albino corydoras
Chinese algy eater

1 White Cloud Mountain minnow stowaway from store

4ft of ich ....bloody typical!
4eye

Postby markee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Great pics, not jealous at all :lol:

We're not having such a cold winter, more of a wet & windy one (part of my fence blew down at the weekend!). I'm not a fan of the heat but i would gladly swap our weather for a little bit of what you guys have got :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 am

Heading for 27C today, according to the weather forecast but it is lunchtime and only 23C so far. A lovely sunny day and it is my birthday so I am enjoying it outside.
I have a cousin in Indiana who said it has got up to minus 11F which is -24C there!
Carylnz

Postby 4eye » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 am

ah nice!!! happy birthday for yesterday!! :balloons: :balloons: :balloons: :balloons:

i dont envy your cousin at all :?
Flame head tetra
Silvertip tetra
Glow light tetra
Neon tetra
Red phantom tetra
Albino corydoras
Chinese algy eater

1 White Cloud Mountain minnow stowaway from store

4ft of ich ....bloody typical!
4eye

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:57 pm

Thank you 4eye. I had a lovely day and it ended with dinner with the family then our usual Quiz Night where we came 3rd = :-)
Carylnz

Return to General Chat