Water in different areas of the country

Off-topic general discussion area

Water in different areas of the country

Postby TropicalRex » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 am

My other half and I are looking into moving to Paignton, Devon and have found a few properties in the area http://www.millercountrywide.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Paignton/1101 but we currently live in the North and are wondering if the differences in tap water will affect our fish? We have a tropical tank and know that levels of ammonia etc can vary from place to place. Does anyone have any experience with different water issues in different areas?

Re: Water in different areas of the country

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:20 am

I would be horrified if any areas had tap water registering ammonia (although I think I read somewhere that UK water has been through 8 people before it gets to the tap so that might explain it :mrgreen: )
The pH certainly varies though. There are ways and means to get around pH problems.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz

Postby Rockfish » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:29 pm

As Caryl said, it's more likely that pH (and also hardness) will vary - but unless you have any particularly fussy fish they will often adapt to most tap water ok.

Significant levels of ammonia should never be present in tap water, though it is possible to detect very low levels in some areas occasionally. Sometimes this happens where chloramine is used to disinfect the water (rather than just chlorine), and some dechlorinators/water conditioners split of the chorine part leaving detectable ammonia (though it's often in the less toxic bound ammonium form rather than free ammonia).

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Site Admin

Postby MartinC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you are either concerned or curious about tap water quality, Google the water company that supplies the area you are interested in and you can usually find the suppliers detailed analysis of the water supply, including where it is obtained from.
125l Fluval Rio
7 Tiger Barbs
5 Zebra Loaches
4 Red Harlequin Rasboras
5 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Otocinclus

Return to General Chat