New Year.......big changes

Off-topic general discussion area

New Year.......big changes

Postby markee » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Happy New Year to all :D

I've not been on here much (if at all) for some time & for that i'd like to say sorry. My job over the last 3 years has seen me clock up many many miles (i'm currently 8,000 miles away from the UK) and spending too much time away from home, 599 days to be precise. I'm 2 weeks away from finishing a 4 month tour in the Falkland Islands, it's certainly not the best tour i've been on but it has been the quickest so i can't grumble too much :lol:
I've not set myself any resolutions for 2015 however i've had plenty of thinking & planning time down here, so in February i will be taking delivery of a 7ft tank to replace my 5ft tank. To make room for it i've had to say goodbye to my shellie tank. My current stock of Fronts will be vented, hopefully leaving me with my alpha & beta males, plus 2 females (i think my current ratio is 4m:2f). I'm then looking to purchase 4 WC females to increase my group.
In October i'm getting married! It's only going to be a quiet affair down in Cornwall, my missus has had a lot to put up with because what effects me with my job effects her too, plus she is the main reason why i've still been able to keep fish over the years. Without her i would've had to give up the hobby for a while as she does all the water changes etc whilst i'm away, even if she does require the use of a chair so she can reach into the tank :rofl:

2015 is going to be big year for me :D
markee

Re: New Year.......big changes

Postby cousin it » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Sounds like a busy year ahead, a 7 foot tank sounds like a fun project, have a sump on it and have a compartment for the shellies in there :innocent:
Congratulations on the planned wedding, although I can see through the plan already, A bit of an extreme way of visiting Tri Mar :lol:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Congratulations on the wedding! Grant and I just celebrated our 37th anniversary last month.
I am assuming your home base will continue to stay put while you move about as I would have thought something a lot smaller would be easier to move! Aquariums are great, until you need to move one (or it breaks) :wink:
Your fiancee ought to sign up for this forum so she has people to talk to about the fish, or help, while you are away.
I remember Cornwall as being a lovely area (and I think my husband's family originated from there) but the highlight of my UK visit was the meeting a group of members from here had at Wharf Aquatics. :mrgreen:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby markee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:18 pm

cousin it wrote:Sounds like a busy year ahead, a 7 foot tank sounds like a fun project, have a sump on it and have a compartment for the shellies in there :innocent:
Congratulations on the planned wedding, although I can see through the plan already, A bit of an extreme way of visiting Tri Mar :lol:

Unfortunately the shellies (Multi's) went before i left for the Falklands, if i had the room i would've kept them. I also had to think about the missus looking after two tanks whilst i was away. I did speak with ND Aquatics about a middle compartment in the cabinet as i have a breeding tank but the dims were slightly smaller than the tank size. I've never used a sump so i've stuck with what i know & am using two FX-6's. I'm sure a visit to a LFS might be in order whilst we're down there :wink:

Carylnz wrote:Congratulations on the wedding! Grant and I just celebrated our 37th anniversary last month.
I am assuming your home base will continue to stay put while you move about as I would have thought something a lot smaller would be easier to move! Aquariums are great, until you need to move one (or it breaks) :wink:
Your fiancee ought to sign up for this forum so she has people to talk to about the fish, or help, while you are away.
I remember Cornwall as being a lovely area (and I think my husband's family originated from there) but the highlight of my UK visit was the meeting a group of members from here had at Wharf Aquatics. :mrgreen:

I'm done with all the moving about, i've given 24 years to my Queen & country so the time has come for me to move on to pastures new. The long term picture being that i will be settling in Cornwall, i'm from there & the missus loves it there, so it's a no brainer. I'm hoping to move into the aquatics industry, it's a big step though as apart from a couple of little jobs before i joined up the air force is all i've known.
markee

Postby Rockfish » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 pm

It certainly sounds like a year of big changes for you, but you'll still have fish, so that's all good! :D
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby markee » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

ND Aquatics have confirmed my order for the tank, i shall be taking delivery on the 9th Feb :mrgreen:
markee

Postby pandacory » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 am

Great news on all the above Mark. Hope everything goes well for you.
stuart

planted tank
3 oto's
6 lemon tetra
6silvertip tetra

marine setup fowlr
volitan lionfish
lemonpeel angel
crimson hawkfish
pajama cardinal

http://www.wix.com/tismeffs/sgaquariumcleaningservices
pandacory

Postby markee » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:51 pm

I am now back in the country! When i arrived in the Falklands in September it was snowing, i arrived back in the UK on Saturday & it was snowing! Had a 30 minute delay whilst the runway was cleared so we could land, i'd been travelling for 18 hours so what was an extra 30 minutes :lol:
Replaced the battery on my car, as it was as flat as a pancake, popped into work to do my arrival bits & am now not back into work until 2nd March :mrgreen:
Popped into one of my local MA's to have a look at the LED lighting, as they stock marines, & ended up walking out with a TMC V2 iLumenair 900. The lighting has been the hardest thing to work out on the new tank but had a demo of the 900 & the spread seems to be what i'm after, MA did say that if it wasn't what i was after then i could take it back & change it for 2 x 600's. My second FX6 has arrived, so apart from the rocks i'm all set to go, well i will be once the tank gets here............not that i'm getting impatient :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 am

Now now. You KNOW patience is the most important part of fish keeping ;-)

PS. Please send some snow. We have been heating up here (anything from 28 - 33C) and they are still battling a large grass fire in the next valley (possibly sparked by a train) that started a couple of days ago. We are not allowed on the higher Wither Hills walkways up behind my house as the fire danger is too great. Fire travels faster than a human can run ;-)
Next we will be on water restrictions.
The weather office has promised us rain today but no sign of it yet. If it does rain, it will be the first we have had this year.
Carylnz

Postby markee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Thankfully not had any snow since & i was happy to see some drizzly rain at 5am this morning as i didn't fancy driving down to Cornwall with the risk of icy roads. Does it ever get cold in NZ?

Off to visit a LFS tomorrow called 'Billy the Fish Aquatics', as a keen Viz comic reader in my younger years the name doesn't fill me with confidence but i'll go with an open mind :lol:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:28 am

An odd name for a shop even if I didn't know what a Viz comic was until I Googled it!
Yes it gets cold here. We live in the middle of the country so our temperatures range from 25 - 32C in summer down to 6 - 10C in winter with over night temps down to -4.
The top of the country in semi tropical so they do not have frosts and down the bottom of the South Island they can have big extremes of temperature, and snow in winter. One of the main roads leading up the North Island can be closed by snow regularly.
I actually live not far from the Rainbow Ski Fields which are only open when there is enough snow plus, in the other direction, I can go water skiiing in the Marlborough Sounds. Put 'Marlborough Sounds' into Google images and you will see what my part of the country looks like. ;-)
Carylnz

Postby markee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Yeah Malborough Sounds doesn't look very nice at all :lol: I saw a pic of someone sat on a bench overlooking some of the islands, i could picture me doing that. I do quite fancy visiting NZ, i've done all the theme park holiday stuff in my younger years so i prefer a more relaxed adventure nowadays, just a shame NZ is so far away.

oh and i won't be going back to see Billy :lol:
markee

Postby markee » Fri May 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Wow was this really 15 months ago?! As it turns out it was a really big year:

Feb 15 - The tank arrived, cycled it and stocked with 6 WC Mpimbwe Frontosa plus 2 females from my existing group and 2 Calvus.

May 15 - Had knee op number 4, they won't do a knee replacement yet as apparently there is life in this old dog yet, doesn't feel like it some days :lol:

Oct 15 - Got married, nice quiet day that went smoothly.

Nov 15 - Went on honeymoon to Florida (had a brill time and didn't want to come back!)

2016 has been pretty busy so far as well. After a bit of a discussion with the missus i've had a change of heart and decided to stay in the RAF. With that in mind we decided to move from the house we were renting into military accommodation and save a fortune in rent! So:

Feb 16 - I decided to give up on keeping Frontosa, it will always remain as my favourite fish but i've had very little success in the 3 times i've kept them.

Mar 16 - Moved house, it was touch and go about whether i'd be able to keep the tank but it was quite a sight to behold watching a 7ft being passed through a window due to not enough turning space through the front and back doors!

Apr 16 - Tank set up and cycling (had to clean out the two FX-6's so had to cycle from scratch)

May 16 - The tank is coming to the end of cycling, i currently have 5 Altolamprologus Sumbu in a breeding tank and my male BN in another smaller tank, so hopefully the tank will be ready this weekend so they can go in. I'm going for a Tang community this time, with the rest of the stocking comprising of Cyprichromis Leptosoma (non jumbo), Neolamprologus Leleupi, Julidochromis Regani and Enantiopus Melanogenys. The BCA auction is this month so i'll hopefully pick up my stock from there, failing that Wharf have everything on my list so i could be making a first ever trip up there.

Plans for the rest of the year? no idea yet :lol: I do know however that now i have decided to stay in the RAF that i will be going away again soon, more than likely early next year.
markee

Postby Carylnz » Fri May 13, 2016 9:29 am

You have had a lot going on!
I am sure you will enjoy a visit to Wharf :wink:
It has been quiet here with a very unusual warm spell. We are usually getting winter frosts by now but daytime temps are still around 20C and we are in T shirts.
We have just had the outside of the house painted, which was a big job, including staining the new verandah and deck. The poor painter was very worried about falling in the pond, or dropping his paint brush!
Unlike your moving about, we built this house in 1979 and have lived here ever since. Grant is starting to semi-retire and may finally give it up next year. He will be 66 later this year.
We get to see our grandson fairly often and are in regular contact via Skype. He is a cutie who will be 2 in Nov.
In January we attended a Festival of Historic Motoring and drove our 1928 Chrysler down to Dunedin (662km) to attend. An Australian couple borrowed our Volvo Amazon for it and toured the South Island as well.
Later in the year we head to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Later trips we hope to include Machu Picchu and the Galapagos Is. plus Grant wants to do a Shanghai to London Car Rally.
We only have one 4ft tropical these days, plus the pond, so very quiet on the fish front.
Carylnz

Postby markee » Tue May 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Sounds like you have been and are continuing to be busy as well!

The BCA auction was good, however the fish i was expecting didn't arrive so i ducked out early and visited a few LFS on the way back. Managed to picked up the Leleupi and Regani that i was after but i'm in the process of contacting Wharf about the Leptosoma and Enantiopus i'm after. Gonna make it an overnight trip (provided they have stock) so it'll be nice to finally visit the place, does Sean still work there?
markee

Next

Return to General Chat