Has it been that long?

Off-topic general discussion area

Has it been that long?

Postby John Williams » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Once I finally got logged back in again the forum stats say my last post was January 2009!
Wow! Has it been that long?
My kids were 12 and 6 back then and cute! Now they are 18 and 12 ...and teenaged!
I've moved jobs and been promoted to Head of Department.
Still Scouting though! (Just returned from a week under canvas in The Lake District with the boys and girls)
Helen and I had our 25th Wedding anniversary last September - and both of us are now heavily involved in the church where we got married!
Helen is the Church Warden (I am Deputy ...can't have two in the same household!). I even toyed with the idea of training to be a priest enough to actually apply a couple of years ago! (Having too much fun in our own parish though...and when would I have the time to study!)
We have had very empty and "neglected" tanks for a while. Very understocked with finkinds, but full of live plants - so that if our busy lives delayed a water change for a while then they would cope!
I promised myself that I'd build a Malawi tank when I got promoted to Head of Dept ...but I've been SO busy and working long hours to get it in order!
No change there... but I did promise myself! (and Helen says it is time to have fish in the living room again!)
My 300l has been moved to a more prominent place, decked out with lots of slate and three internal filters (two of which have been running in my empty/overfed quarantine tank to boost the bacteria).
Put 9 of the calmer Malawi's in today and agreed a plan with LFS to get 10 more in 14 days and 12 of the most territorial 14 days later(moving the décor each time). twice weekly water changes to keep them healthy as they settle in! Will see how that goes for a month before deciding if it needs a synodontis catfish. There are some hardy plants in there ...but for how long?
It's good to be back!
Do the forums seem quieter than they were?

John
"Be prepared..... be VERY prepared!" I'm not sure Lord Baden-Powell used the last bit...but it works for me!
John Williams

Re: Has it been that long?

Postby Rockfish » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi John, welcome back :)

Scary how fast time seems to pass isn't it? :shock:

Sounds like a good plan with the Malawi tank.

I think things are a lot quieter now, initially part of the reason was no doubt that so many new forums sprang up, dividing things thinner and thinner, but I think Facebook groups and the like have also drawn people away from traditional forums.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 am

Time passes when you're having fun!
I think Facebook and other things have taken over from forums unfortunately :(
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby John Williams » Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Is this still the best place to come for advice from TTT?

Should I be using facebook or another social media?

John
"Be prepared..... be VERY prepared!" I'm not sure Lord Baden-Powell used the last bit...but it works for me!
John Williams

Postby Carylnz » Thu May 28, 2015 11:21 am

I prefer forums as you can get a sense of whether a responder has any idea what they are talking about by looking at thir responses to other questions.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to General Chat