fish from an unknown pond source

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

fish from an unknown pond source

Postby Donna » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 am

my hubby put tiny baby fish from a pond near his job in my tank! he thinks they "may be brim or small mouth bass" they are really tiny but I noticed becky's note that some fish grow real fast ... I have about a dozen rosy minnows, 2 spotted corydoras, 10 ghost shrimp and a snail or 2. what should I do? I don't want to kill them ....
I love all creatures great & small!!
Donna

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:24 am

Hi,

To address the size issue first - right now I doubt they will have a significant impact on the bioload of the tank if they're tiny fry. However you need to be very careful that the fish aren't staunted as they grow.
Introducing fish from a pond without quarantine could leave your tropical fish open to infection and diesease carried by the new fish.
The pond fish you have are freshwater not tropical which means your tank conditions really aren't suited to them. I would suggest you thank hubby, explain it isn't good for any of the livestock involved and re-release them into their natural environment. If you really wanted to keep them then you could set up a second tank but again you'll have to be quick to move them on once the tank is fully stocked or they will be staunted.
Hope that helps!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Donna » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks Becky! I did have a word or two with him about this issue (he THOUGHT he was being cute adding HIS fish to MY tank :angry: ) tsk-tsk
another child... lol (hope I didn't hurt any egos out there) I do plan to put them back ... just not sure how they will fare (mothering instinct kicking in again) You are so kind Becky thanks for your wise words.!
I love all creatures great & small!!
Donna

Return to Freshwater Discussion