the benefits of softwater

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

the benefits of softwater

Postby calsonic » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 pm

what are4 the benefits of softning the water as i am considering trying to get an ro unit and slowly swapping the watter over but i dont want to lash out lots of money if theres no point sorry to sound a nob but i dont trust most of my lfs and dont want to have to drive an hour down the road to the only decen one nere me without having to. thank you for any responces
calsonic

Postby moocowmoneybox » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:09 am

RO water generally is pH7 (neutral) with no dissolved solids or minerals at all.
It would need to have minerals added to it to make it suitable for fish to live in.

different fish have different needs for their water environment so if you are going to setup a tank for a specific species then you can setup the water for that, but you have to get the same water parameters every water change.

Most fish from your local fishy shop should be OK (especially the common types).

Whats your tap water like at the moment?
What fish did you want to keep?
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby calsonic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:48 pm

my tap water is verry hard
it has a ph off about 7.5
nitrate is 110
ammonia is 0
nitrites im not sure off

i was told by one lfs that i dont trust verry much that i would need ro water for cardinals and that it could be the reason why my rams died but i think that its a load off rubbish so i thought iu would ask

my stock will be
3 angels
1 gibby
4 gouamias
2 male swordtails
4 neons
4+ plattys
4 speckeld mollies
3 clowns

but i may add some more sorry for the long post
calsonic

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi there,

Are you sure that nitrate level is correct? It's exceedingly high if so and most keepers maintain a level below 40ppm.
First off what size is your tank? Clown Loaches need at least a 7' tank and should be kept in groups.
Angels and Gourami's will fight as they get older, especially if they start to breed.
Mollies are really brackish fish and don't do so well in freshwater.

The Rams most likely died from stress and your high pH - they prefer 6.8.
Yes Cardinals and Rams need very clean water, not necessarily RO but it must be kept very clean if they are to survive, thrive and breed and it needs to be a suitable pH. As you say yours isn't much good right now. I think you might very well need to consider an RO unit if you want to keep these types of fish - however some Cichlids prefer the 7+ range so you could do some more research on them and see what you like.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby chaoz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:10 am

if your nitrate is 100ppm do a 50% water change asap readding dechlorinated water the a few 25% changes over the next few days to lower it.. more than likely yout nitate and nitrite that killed your fish not your ph
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby san-ho-zay » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:57 am

my tap water is verry hard
it has a ph off about 7.5
nitrate is 110
ammonia is 0
nitrites im not sure off

Assuming you mean mg/l (ppm), your tap water probably can't have this much nitrate in it. For example, regulations for England & Wales are that nitrate/50 + nitrite/3 is less than 1.0. Your nitrate component alone is 2.2 - more than double the maximum concentration allowed in drinking water here*.

Did you test tank water?

If you are in the UK, you can have a look on your water supplier's website for drinking water quality/drinking water analysis - they have to provide annual water quality reports. Or at least test for pH/hardness of your fresh tap water. If the report or your test suggests your tap water pH is lower than 7.5, it could be that something in your tank, e.g. rocks or substrate, is raising the pH.

Where are you?

--
Richard

* Refer to Clause 4.2(d) http://www.dwi.gov.uk/regs/si3184/3184.htm
san-ho-zay

Postby skooby » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am

I'm sure i remember reading a post somewere that RO units are only suitable if you require large amounts of water as they need to be pretty much run constantly cos if they dry out they stop working correctly, also only a percentage of the water that passes through them is pure and a the rest is waste. Maybe someone who has used them could be more specific.
Stuart

Vision 260
75l Coldwater
skooby

Postby calsonic » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:42 pm

i retested the tap water and it was 50ppm of nitrate anyway i tested my ufo tank today and the results were ph 8,nitrate 110,amonia 0,nitrite 0 i lost one of my loaches today and i think i may soon lose one of my angels so i have done a 50 percent water change and i will look for somke chemical to lower my nitrates quicker but its weird in a way i have had my tanks 3 months with no real problems is there any treatments you could recomend
calsonic

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:42 am

Have you got any real plants in your tank? They "eat" a lot of NitrAtes.

Please don't add chemicals - they don't always work and can cause your fish more problems.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby krekra » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:02 pm

In my experience sudden multiple fish loss in a relativly stable aquarium is usually caused by one of two things. Either water quality issues or the addition of a disease with newly added fish.

If your nitrate reading was really 110 then your answer is right there. We consider nitrate to be rather safe but thats at numbers of 20-40ppm and less. At 110 ppm it is definatly toxic to many species particularly loaches. Changing your hardness at this point will change your pH and probobly make things worse.

I would do some frequent water changes and get that nitrate reading down. Its better to do frequent smaller changes so as not to shock your fish though. Like 25% daily for 3-4 days.

Just realize that for some fish the damage may already be done beyond the point of no return so dont be surprised if you do loose fish that seem to already be looking poorly.

I dont remember exactly how big your tank is. Can you remind me??

Karena

PS as for changing your hardness remember that once you start doing that you will have to keep doing it and keep measuring it and adjusting to keep it the same so unless you are ready to be constantly testing and adjusting it is easier on you and safer for your fish to keep your hardness as it is from your tap and let them either adjust or stick to fish that do well in your hardness. Soft water holds less buffering capacity and is more unstable with pH changes. 7.5 pH should be fine for most species.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby calsonic » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:24 pm

my tank is 70-75 gallons im not certain but i will be upgrading to an 8 ft tank in about 6 months or so just waiting for the green light from my parents my tank is planted but there not doing great i had some bad advice and there now getting eaten i have a few nice plants that are doing well and some fern type ones that are getting eaten. there is something in the tank thats making it more alkaline because since i started testing my tank water it was always 8 but my tap is about 7
calsonic

Return to Freshwater Discussion