API Tap Water Conditioner

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

API Tap Water Conditioner

Postby chuckalicious » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am

I have a 69L tank which currently houses 4 goldfish.

I am using API Tap Water Conditioner as the dechlorinator, however, I'm a bit concerned I'm not using it correctly. It has 2 sets of instructions, 1 for removing chlorine, and the other for breaking the chloramine bond.

Which should I be doing? I have been following the second set of instructions, but I'm afraid I'm using too much.

Reason I ask all this is my tank still doesn't seem to be cycling. High ammonia regardless of water changes, and 0 nitrites and nitrates.
chuckalicious

Postby Superman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:41 pm

Some water companies either add Chlorine or Chloramine to the water. Think most are moving to the latter.

I use the dosage for Chloramine and don't think you can proper overdose the water conditioner.
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby skooby » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm pretty sure you have to go by the chloramine instruction as it needs a little more declorinator, adding it at that level will ensure you get rid of chlorine and chloramine :)
Stuart

Vision 260
75l Coldwater
skooby

Postby chuckalicious » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:56 pm

that was my thought as well, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm still convinced my tank simply isn't cycling, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Would seem not, as far as dechlorinator goes :)
chuckalicious

Postby skooby » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 pm

Just out of interest, how long have the fish been in the tank and what sort of tank maintenance are you doing(e.g. cleaning of gravel/filter ect). Sometimes tank cycling can take weeks, especially if the ammonia is either very low or very high. What is your ammonia reading? :)
Stuart

Vision 260
75l Coldwater
skooby

Postby chuckalicious » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:49 am

Best thing you could do is read this :)

http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1158

But a summary is that I rescued 4 goldfish on the 16th September, and because of the urgency, I had to put them in an uncycled tank.

I have been doing water changes every second day, changing about 10-15% each time. Not feeding every day.

Ammonia seems to hover between 2 and 4ppm regardless of what I do.

I'm about to buy some new water test kits for nitrate and nitrite but the dip sticks I had showed 0 for both of those and has never changed.

I cleaned the filter a few days ago (in tank water) and have only hoovered the gravel a couple of times, as suggested by most people here.
chuckalicious

Postby krekra » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:39 pm

Are you adding anything else?..... like ammolock???

the conditioner you are using shouldnt do any harm to your filter bacteria at that dose!! make sure you are adding it to the water before you dump the water into your tank.

Any chance you can get a filter squeeze from someone elses tank??
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby chuckalicious » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:00 am

I was using Ammolock, but I'm not now. I was advised against it here.

I've also had 2 squeezed and bags of gravel from Dobbies established tanks....
chuckalicious

Postby chuckalicious » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 am

Also, I bought liquid tests for nitrate and nitrite, as I had been using the dip stips before. Nitrate was 0 and Nitrite was just above 0 but below 0.25ppm, I think, was pretty hard to tell where the colour fell in the colour chart.

I did an ammonia test and got about 6ppm, so did a decent sized water change.

Is it supposed to take this long to cycle?
chuckalicious

Postby krekra » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

good thing about stopping the ammolock as it will mess with the ammonias availability as food for the good bacteria. 6ppm of ammonia is very high and may cause some problems with your fish. If you got a good fiter squeeze it shouldnt take that long at all. When did you put the filter squeeze in??? How are your fish handeling things??
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby chuckalicious » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:58 pm

The first squeeze went in weeks ago. The second went in last week

The fish themselves seem very spritely, are feeding well, not gulping for air and not dying!

Could it be that I still have Ammolock in my water which is messing up any new water I put in?

I'm happy to do a complete water change, but I don't want that to remove what little good bacteria I have (assuming it's not now made it's home on my gravel and in my filter).

Should I do a complete water change?
chuckalicious

Postby chuckalicious » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:40 am

Did another ammonia test last night and it was still high. So, I did a large water change and retested. Ammonia was now down to only about 0.25ppm, which is good.

I imagine that'll set back the cycling a little bit, but I assume that's better than there still being ammolock in the tank soaking up all the ammonia that the bacteria want!
chuckalicious

Postby Angel Fish » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:59 am

Glad to see it's all back on track :D

It will take a bit longer for the cycle to complete, but it'll be worth it :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby chuckalicious » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:01 am

No idea if it's back on track yet :(

Until I see a rise in nitrite or nitrates I'll be convinced there's something wrong!
chuckalicious

Return to Freshwater Discussion