Tetra's - what would go well and compliment eachother

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Tetra's - what would go well and compliment eachother

Postby michelle76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 am

Hi,

I have posted another question re combination of fish ie gouramis, clown loaches, algae eaters as that is what I currently have in my 285L tank.

I am thinking of putting in tetras into the tank and the phantom, rosy, diamond, rummy nose, lemon, cherry barb have all been recommended to me. I am not sure which combination of tetras to put together to compliment each other.

For those who have tetras in their tank or those who have seen a variety of tetras together, can you please give me some sort of guidance.

Thanks
michelle76

Re: Tetra's - what would go well and compliment eachother

Postby m_attt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 am

i think it looks better to have a big shoal of one or two species, they colour better and act natural and shoal. a big group of one species can look stunning.
m_attt

Postby michelle76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:35 am

thanks for the reply.

I currently have 2 clown loaches and 3 gourami's. I am thinking of adding only one tetra species ie rummy nosed, say maybe 10. I want to add another 4 clowns to the tank.

How do you think this will look?
michelle76

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

How about a nice shoal of Cardinals?

I have a shoal of 12 in 1 of my tanks, they shoal relatively tightly together and look great! Have always found Rummynose's quite fragile & weak (my have just been unlucky mind)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby michelle76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 am

englishmx - thanks for the suggestion. When I spoke with a guy from an aquarium store, he said neons, cardinals (which is the one I liked originally) would probably get eaten esp the neon's. I am also considering angel fish as well.
michelle76

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

michelle76 wrote:englishmx - thanks for the suggestion. When I spoke with a guy from an aquarium store, he said neons, cardinals (which is the one I liked originally) would probably get eaten esp the neon's. I am also considering angel fish as well.

OK, if you are considering Angles then yes avoid Neons, Cardinals would be fine as they are a tad bigger, even small specimens from the LFS soon 'bulk out' :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby cousin it » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 am

If you intend to add angels to the tank I would add cardinals 3-6 months before you introduce the angels to give the cardinals time to grow to a size that will not be a quick snack, or add very young angels to allow them to grow with the cardinals.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:26 am

cousin it wrote:If you intend to add angels to the tank I would add cardinals 3-6 months before you introduce the angels to give the cardinals time to grow to a size that will not be a quick snack, or add very young angels to allow them to grow with the cardinals.

Thanks Daran, spot on, I should have been a bit clearer :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby cousin it » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:31 am

having 6 large adult angels in one of my tanks makes me have to think about what size their potential tank mates are, the group of wild angels I had were capable of eating harlequins and would hunt them early mornings, fortunately most angels on sale that have been bred in captivity rarely reach the size they did.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby michelle76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 am

what about dwarf angelfish - would they eat the cardinals
michelle76

Postby cousin it » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 am

By dwarf angel fish are you refering to Pterophyllum leopoldi, these can be tricky to find, they should be fine with suitable sized cardinals. unfortunately they will also need tetras introduced in a similar manner to how I described above, most cardinals from fish shops are sold as very young examples and need some time to bulk out and grow.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby michelle76 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:36 am

another thought is instead of having cardinal tetras have 10-15 cherry barbs but then they will probably get eaten. We did have 2 angel fish in the past but they died and I am reconsidering them cause I like the colour. Maybe I just don't get any angels and stick with gouramis ie 2 blue, 2 pearl and 2 gold - so 6 gourami's, 6x clown loaches, an algae eater (not sure which), 20 cardinal tetras or cherry barbs (if they are not fin nippers). What are your thoughts or suggestions.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be happy with what fish I buy and compatibility
michelle76

Postby Angel Fish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Cherry Barbs aren't fin nippers and although they look fantastic in large numbers, they don't shoal as much as other smaller fish. Pentazona Barbs are also not nippy, they make a good addition to a peaceful community and have really good personalities. I wouldn't have two Angelfish, they are quite difficult to sex when young and if it turns out you have a pair they could wipe out the tank if they bred. If you really want one, just have one or set up a species tank with a dozen :wink:

I'd worry about having 6 Cloaches in a tank that size, I have some in my big tank and they have really had a growth spurt in the last few weeks. Having 6 would decrease the amount of smaller fish you could have because they are such deep bodied fish and can create an awful lot of waste.

If you do decide on an/a couple of Angels, add them last. That way they won't decide that the whole tank is theirs and the smaller fish can claim their territories without worrying about being chased away.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby 4eye » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 pm

i once bought 3 angel.....2 paired up and killed the other and hurrassed the tank..so yeah.....it can be a really big problem if it goes wrong......my latest in my tank are rummys....and personally theyre my favourate tetra i have.....!
Flame head tetra
Silvertip tetra
Glow light tetra
Neon tetra
Red phantom tetra
Albino corydoras
Chinese algy eater

1 White Cloud Mountain minnow stowaway from store

4ft of ich ....bloody typical!
4eye

Postby michelle76 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 am

ok thanks everyone,

what about this:

3x gouramis (keeping with what I have)
4x clown loaches (adding another 2)
12x cardinal tetras or 12x Five banded barb (but to me they look very similar to clown loaches)
2x bala shark (currently have but want to get rid of) - i know I didn't mention this before as I prefer to get rid of them
3x sucking loaches

Not sure what else would go with - what other combinations could I do.
michelle76

Next

Return to Freshwater Discussion