Assassin Snails?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Assassin Snails?

Postby dr_lew » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Hi, all

I'm in the process of setting up my planted freshwater tank (60 gallon, 4ft x 13in x 2ft high). So far, everything is going really great. The equipment is working, the plants seem to love the substrate, the water is clear and thanks to the plants and bits of plant detrius I purposely allowed to stay in, the tank has undergone a small cycle without any wild spikes or chemistry swings other than just-readable ammounts ammonia and nitrItes at the proper times, which are now back to zero. NitrAtes are also zero (which I assume is because of the very heavy plant load in the tank). I will be adding my first few fish this weekend, and I am quite excited. There is only one hitch to this otherwise rosy picture: snails. I looked into the tank the other day and there gliding along the glass was one of those diminutive, common pests. I have since spotted a few of its little friends, and I know that where there are a few there will very soon be about a gazillion more. I can only assume that they hitchhiked on the plants. After having done a little reading here and elsewhere, I am strongly considering using assassin snails to control the population of their common cousins, if/when I can acquire them. Have any of you used assassin snails? How well did it work for you? Do the assassin snails go on to become pests, themselves, or does the system reach a natural balance?

I'd really appreciate any advice and information you all can provide. Thanks!
dr_lew

Re: Assassin Snails?

Postby cousin it » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:45 am

In the type of tank you are setting up I would consider snails to be part of the natural eco system converting plant and animal waste into plant food, the balance of the ones you have in there at the moment will eventualy stabilise and become an asset rather than a pest, assassin snails can be useful for clearing up issues but at the same time they can be very limiting to what methods of algae control you have available to you, I am a big fan of utilising nerite snails in my tanks to keep the glass clean, adding assasin snails would mean that I would have to clean the glass myself.

In all of my planted tanks I have found that snail populations soon become self controling once the tank has established, in my larger tanks I currently have no snails, I have added many snails to these tanks but the populations quickly dwindle to nothing over the course of a few weeks due to there being insufficient food to support them. Only my shrimp tanks support snail populations due to food being available to the shrimp on the floor but even in these tanks they do not get to a level that I would consider an issue, more an asset :lol:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Assassin Snails?

Postby dr_lew » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks, Cousin It. I certainly don't mind having a few of the little guys in there helping to keep things clean--I just dread the possibility of the tank being overrun by millions of the darned critters. I admit, that's an exaggeration, but I don't find the image of a tank with snails all over everything to be attractive. However, hopefully I can be careful enough with my feeding to keep things at a reasonable balance, like you describe. I appreciate the info!
dr_lew

Return to Freshwater Discussion