next step

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

next step

Postby basja1991 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:34 pm

So i am pretty content with my tank atm, however my stepfather being the annoyance he is keeps pestering me telling me i can get 'loads more fish in my tank' although i love the idea of having more fish in my tank i am very worried of over populating it. my current stocklist can be seen in my signature, so am just wondering what you opinions are on more fish i have a cayman 80 pr which is a 140l bow front tank. it has plenty of cover from natural plant life and i know my filter can cope with a hell of a lot more of a workload. so my question is this- Can i add more fish and if so what do you suggest
9 Neon Tetra
5 black mollies
3 bristlenose plecs
1 golden gourami
12 cherry barbs
more plants thank i can fit in my signature \o/
basja1991

Re: next step

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 am

9 Neon Tetra
5 black mollies
3 bristlenose plecs
1 golden gourami
12 cherry barbs

Yes I think you can add more fish as the ones you have are all smaller species. The only ones to produce a lot of waste are the BN's.
Are all the mollies the same sex? If not, you will have them increasing your numbers regularly :wink:
I would add 2 more gold gouramis so they will be your "feature fish".
Make sure they are a similar size to the one you have or it will bully them. It may do so anyway so a possible solution is to rearrange the decor just before you add the newcomers so it does not try and defend "its" territory.
You could also increase the neon numbers. Do they shoal at all? I have always found them pretty useless at shoaling. Cardinal tetras do a much better job and look great in a large group.
I would increase the numbers of something you already have rather than add another species.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby basja1991 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:55 pm

hiya carolynz,

all the mollies i have are the same sex, hate the thought of having overally sexually active fish in my tank :P, and i love the thought of having golden gouramis in my tank, however i was told not too add these with the current gourami, but i suppose if i as you said re arrange the decor which is reasonably do able it may be a worthwhile idea. and you are right my neons are absolutely hopeless at shoaling but i was looking at adding a few more neons into the mix maybe another 5 or 6, also would you advise male or female introductions of golden gouramis into the tank? i currently have one male
9 Neon Tetra
5 black mollies
3 bristlenose plecs
1 golden gourami
12 cherry barbs
more plants thank i can fit in my signature \o/
basja1991

Postby miskin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:22 pm

2 females would be best then, 3 males might get territorial, and if you have 2 males and a female she will be harassed by the males.
Recovering MTS enjoyer

4ft tropical tank closed down due to building work

Planned Amazon catfish tank, and the tropical community brought back up.
miskin

Return to Freshwater Discussion