Adding/Changing sand! Help please!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Adding/Changing sand! Help please!

Postby Superdan114 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 am

Hi Guys!

I have had my tank running for around a year now without really any changes so it is very matured/settled and im very pleased with it! :D

Basically over the year i have been cleaning it and lost quite abit of the sand. I want to add more sand to the tank but less fine grains as i want to grow plants and have always struggled with my fine sand. So my plan is to add more sand and mix it with the sand which is allready in there. Whats the most practical way to go about this?

I will remove all rocks and plants etc that are in there, but what about the fish? Can i leave them in, i will be adding quite alot of sand and then mixing it in. Would it be best to take the fish out too? I have a large container they can sit in while i do it?

Sorry about the long story and questions! Any ideas or experience on this kinda thing would be great!! Thankyou! :)
Superdan114

Re: Adding/Changing sand! Help please!

Postby Carylnz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am

I would have thought you could just add more sand, slowly and carefully, without removing anything.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Adding/Changing sand! Help please!

Postby Superdan114 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks. I used play sand in the end is that ok? I rinsed it through for a long time but still very cloudy in the water. Fish seem fine so hopefully it will clear up soon :)
Superdan114

Return to Freshwater Discussion