New Tank New Stocking!!!!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

New Tank New Stocking!!!!

Postby steveyg81 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Hi all,

Iv been very lucky and got myself a bargain this week! Managed to get a black Vision 180 for £150 and its in mint condition. The only let down was the T8 lights but these will be replaced with LEDs in the new year.

The current stock from my old tank has been transferred, along with the filter and you can see them in my signature.

Do you guys/girls think i could add a pair of kribs? My tank is peaceful, even the gourami just meanders around doing his thing!

My plan at the minute is to add -

2 zebra loaches
4 zebra danio
Pair of Kribs

What do you think? I have plenty of rocks and bogwood in the tank so I reckon i could fashion a cave as some territory for the kribs.
Would appreciate any ideas on any cool/different/focus fish i could add.

Many thanks,
Steve.
Juwel vision 180 with Eheim 2217 & Fluval U3. About to start planting....
steveyg81

Re: New Tank New Stocking!!!!

Postby Superdan114 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:05 am

What substrate do you have? Kribs love a sand substrate as they sift through it with there mouths. I have two pairs in my tank (one breeding pair), just ensure there are a few caves for them to chose from as mine seem abit fussy! :lol:

They can be aggressive when breeding and spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank so if you where going to go for the kribs, maybe dont get the loaches? See how you go from there. Ive never had any issues, but i have a semi aggressive community tank with robust fish. Also, if the neons are small and will fit in a kribs mouth, they may get eaten!

Shouldnt have a problem with the gouramis since they spend most of their time at the top of the tank and kribs are only territorial horizontally in my opinion, if you understand what i mean. So limit the bottom dwellers to just the kribs, hence no loaches.

Hope this helps! Someone may come in with better advice! :)
Superdan114

Postby Superdan114 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 am

In fact to be even safer, go with two females. As breeding aggression will not be an issue. Up to you entirely though! :D
Superdan114

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:26 am

It is a matter of luck I think and if there are plenty of places for the other fish to go if the kribs breed.
I have seen kribs and loaches co-existing happily.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby steveyg81 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 am

Hi, and a very merry christmas to you all.

My tank has a lovely sand substrate that the loach loves!
I already have plans to rescape one side of the tank into rocks with plenty of books and caves.

My lfs has a few breeding pairs of ribs, double red agassisi, and some viejetas.

Which do you think will be the best suited...or will it not make too much difference?

Thanks in advance and have a great new year.

Steve
Juwel vision 180 with Eheim 2217 & Fluval U3. About to start planting....
steveyg81

Postby ady » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:18 pm

i've got 3 clown loaches 3-4",3 cory's and a pair of kribs along with others in my tank.never had any aggresssion problems with em..although this pair of kribs are yet to breed.they were just about too when another tank burst and i had to chuck em all into a 250 litre and 35 litre... :roll:

my substrate is pea gravel and i'm watching the male moving it at the mo....think he selecting a breeding site because other pair of kribs now been removed.

yes they need a selection of caves/nooks/cranny's to breed in and will defend the area big time when spawning...

i havn't kept any others you been looking at so cant comment..

but i love my kribs when they colour up and display to each other.....

:) :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Freshwater Discussion