testing,testing. mwahahah, i feel like a crazy scientis.t

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

testing,testing. mwahahah, i feel like a crazy scientis.t

Postby oz40 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi all.
Just finished testing my tank and tap water, using API freshwater master test kit, the results were as follows.

Tank is 4FT 180 ltr containing 3 Clown Loach, 1 Pleco.

PH. 7.6
PH High range. 7.4
Ammonia. 0.ppm.
Nitrite. 0.ppm.
Nitrate. 40.ppm.
Tap water. PH High. 7.4

So i am thinking that this tank is almost cycled, just need to keep doing the water changes to get the Nitrate levels down. am i correct in thinking this? just need a little assurance :oops: . Also is the PH ok?
Also i contacted my local water board, Scotish water, and they informed me that our water has no chloramine so the water conditioner i am using is ok, another Api product.

Any advice or pointers needed here? I feel everything is going in the right direction tho.

Cheers Oz.
"Afterall Dogs never had a war, who's the real animal ?" Hubert Farnsworth.
oz40

Re: testing,testing. mwahahah, i feel like a crazy scientis.

Postby englishmx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:06 pm

PH is fine, as often said, stability is the key so leave it alone :wink:

Yes, it looks like you are 'cycled' no ammonia or NItrate and NitrAte showing. Just weekly water changes now to keep the NitrAte down
Mike...
englishmx

Postby oz40 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks Mike, i belive it is good to get things checked.... :lol:
oz40

Postby ady » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm

hi oz..

what is ya local tap water like?....coz i was shocked when i started off...couldn't get the nitrates down to next to nothing.

as suggested by the folks on here,i checked my tap water.using the api master kit....lo and behold it was there already....20ppm...

it mite be that....all water parameters are different,depending on where you live...

with the other readings as they are,you nearly there..just the pesky nitrates :lol:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:13 am

My tap water is around 50ppm nitrates :(
You are cycled. As said, check the nitrate of the tap water, it may be as low as it will get.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Fraser » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Oz,

A couple of things to remember: if your tap water registers nitrates (ours varies between 30 and 40ppm) you'll never get it down to zero. The only way you can keep it as low as possible is by frequent water changes but it will never get below what comes out of the tap unless you start putting chemicals in there which I would never do! All the aquarium centres around here harden their fish off in local water anyway before they sell them so the fish are used to that level of nitrates (also pH as well).

As for the pH, again this is down to what comes out of your tap. I used to use the API test kit but found problems with it. If you're measuring pH and the reading goes off the "Low" scale (if I remember correctly the results will go Blue) use the "High" range only. One of the anomolies with this test kit is that the Low range ends at around 7.6 - again going by memory - but the High range starts lower, at around 7.4?????

I also found it was quite inaccurate at low concentrations. For example: the ammonia scale goes from 0 to 0.25 in one step, which means that if there is any ammonia present it will register 0.25! Some of the other test kits have a much larger scaling and are, therefore, more accurate at lower concentrations. I use the JBL test kits and their Ammonia kit is scaled: <0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.4 and so on. I also use their other kits to test Nitrites, Nitrates and Phosphates. I never test pH because it is what it is out of the tap and seldom, if ever, changes; Nitrates also seldom change.

It's useful to test for Phosphates as these have a direct bearing on the growth of Algae, the higher the phosphates the more algae you will get. I put a product called Rowaphos Granules in my filters (Google it to find out more) and my Phosphate readings are always zero!! Good stuff, well worth investing in and algae now grows very very slowly. You can't eradicate it altogether but you can slow it right down and keep it to a minimum.
"There are only two things that are infinite - the Universe and human stupidity, but I'm not too sure about the former" - Einstein!
Fraser

Postby oz40 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:08 pm

oops, looks like i missed a few posts here, sorry. lots of good info, thanks. all is going well so far, but i will try that other test kit, its something i enjoy doing my other sunday morning ritual :wink:
oz40

Return to Freshwater Discussion