Filter setup -- external filter via under gravel

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Filter setup -- external filter via under gravel

Postby tnkool » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 pm

I have been running this setup for a while and wanted to get some feedback. I've had good results overall but I'm not sure if there's anything I should be concerned about. I have an external filter (currently Eheim 2217) that is fed from a modified tube that connects to an under gravel filter plate. The advantages I think I get:

Larger and protected intake surface area -- weak or smaller fish wont get sucked up (still not good for egg layers, I know)
Pre-filter through the gravel -- while minimal, there should be some bacterial and filtration benefit
Great filtration from external filter -- from what I've seen, canister are most effective

Anything I'm missing?

Tank details: 40 gallon, heavily planted, 2 large angels, 6 red platys, 7 ghost catfish, 6 Otocinclus

PH ~ 7.0, 0 ppm ammonia, 24 degrees celcius

Re: Filter setup -- external filter via under gravel

Postby cousin it » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:11 pm

it is a very good way to use an external filter in this manner, it is fairly common for keepers of delicate shrimp species to use similar to prevent the young from becoming sucked into the filter, while increasing the bio filtration in the tank by a fairly large amount.
so long as the substrate is not allowed to become too clogged over time you should see very good water quality from this type of filter setup, it is nice to see people still getting good use out of undergravel filters.

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Us oldies have a soft spot for the good old reliable, and under-rated, under gravels :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom

Postby ady » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm

after all..if the under gravel filter is so bad...why did it prove so proficent for so many years of the developing fish keeping hobby...

never thought of that system.....pukka idea.....

gravel vac with water change,jobs a good un

humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!

Return to Freshwater Discussion