What to go with Gold & Cherry Barbs?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

What to go with Gold & Cherry Barbs?

Postby Neveraliein » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:03 pm

I want/need more stock but really can't decide what to get. My sig shows my current stock and I used to have Harlequin Rasbora and Cardinal Tetras. I think that ideally, I'd like to add a couple more ottos (wanted 5 but shop only had 3 left) and then top up with Harlies, but am a little concerned that I lost all 9 that I had within a 48 hour period a couple of weeks after I added the Golden Barbs. My water was fine, I could see no sign of disease just fish dropping dead and I'm concerned that the barbs activity was just too much for the harlies (and tetras). The tank has been up and running for 3 years and that's the only real problem I've ever had.

So, any advice/opinions or suggestions for alternatives to add a little more colour would be gratefully considered.

And... Happy New Year to everyone
Neet
Fluval 125L
3 Gold Barb, 5 Tiger Barb
2 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

45L tank
7 Cardinal Tetra & some shrimps
Neveraliein

Re: What to go with Gold & Cherry Barbs?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:14 am

Fluval 125L
3 Otto, 5 Gold Barb
3 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

More ottos would be good when they get more in.
By 'more colour' do you mean different colours from what you have? If not, I would increase golden barb numbers.
I think you are right, the golden barbs will have been too boisterous in a tank that size for the harlequins.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Neveraliein » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:05 am

I was thinking of another colour - I really like the gold barbs but feel at the moment it looks like I have a coldwater goldfish tank. I have avoided Tiger barbs in the past because of their fin-nipping slightly aggressive reputation, but wonder if they would be an option now? Otherwise I'll increase the ottos and goldens, then have colour with tetras in the 2ft tank when froggy goes.

I guess I should check my theoretical stocking levels. I have external filter, do regular water changes and random quality checks so in the past I have been comfortable with going just over the suggested maximum, but that was with my placid harlequins and cardinals.
Neet
Fluval 125L

45L tank
Neveraliein

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:47 am

Tiger barbs ought to hold their own. Get 6 or more and their tendency to nip other fish will be greatly reduced as they will be too busy keeping their own pecking order to bother other fish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Neveraliein » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks. Looks like I have a Barb tank :) I'll check out LFS stock, but may head towards 2 more otto, 7 tigers and perhaps a couple more golden over the next few weeks.
Neet
Fluval 125L

45L tank
Neveraliein

Return to Freshwater Discussion