holiday help

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

holiday help

Postby thermalthong » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 am

Later in the year i am going away for 3 weeks to america, my fish are not going to be able to have there weekly partial water change but i have someone who can feed them while im away. what is going to be the best thing (apart from asking the person who will be feeding them to limit how much food they give them) i can do for them so i dont come back to a tank of dead or dying fish?
thermalthong

Re: holiday help

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:04 am

More details would help.
What size is the tank?
How long has it been set up?
Is it well planted with live plants?
What fish are in it?
How old are they (young or adults)?
If your friend only fed them once or twice a week they would be fine (depending on the above answers).
Also, put pre-measured amounts of food into small containers (those ones for a week or month's supply of pills are excellent) and hide the rest so they can't over-feed.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm

i agree with the above...

if you going away,portion the food in advance,then no mistakes or over feeding will happen.

keep the feeding light,maybe twice a week..do a 50% water change a few days before,check all is working before you leave.

come back to happy fish in a lovely clean tank..coz they will feed on the algae etc etc...

hope that helps

ady 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby thermalthong » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Carylnz wrote:More details would help.
What size is the tank?
How long has it been set up?
Is it well planted with live plants?
What fish are in it?
How old are they (young or adults)?
If your friend only fed them once or twice a week they would be fine (depending on the above answers).
Also, put pre-measured amounts of food into small containers (those ones for a week or month's supply of pills are excellent) and hide the rest so they can't over-feed.

tank size is 110 litre (4 foot long, 1 foot wide and about 1.5 foot tall)
has been set up for around 18 monthes at a guess
no live plants anymore as they were eaten (but will get some closer to the time if it will help)
fish are clown loachs, BGK, ruby shark, ancistrus, danios, guppys, panchax fair size armoured plec, garra rufa and a few other small stuff.most are over a year old so can they be classed as adults? they are not fully grown, if they were there would be no room to move due to there adult size vs the tank size!! only baby i would say i have is a baby clown loach around 2 inches long. also in there is a red clawed crab.

what was said about making portions is a great idea, i will also get him to pop in some cucumber for the plec.
thermalthong

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:26 pm

They should be fine. I would even suggest no feeding at all for the 3 weeks but you may find a few of the smaller fish missing upon your return :wink:
The tank will be a lot cleaner though!
I assume, with no plants, there is a nice amount of algae on the rocks? The fish will graze on this.
You can pick up those pill containers really cheaply. We have here what is called the $3 Shop so I am sure you have something similar that sells cheap Asian stuff. Write the day and date on each partition, or separate container) so he knows exactly when to empty it into the tank. If you can't find the pill things you might have some old pill bottles lying about or perhaps some old film canisters? Ask at a photo developing place for some canisters. They are usually happy to give them away.
Carylnz

Postby thermalthong » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:35 pm

nope no algae at all! tank is in quite a dark room so this must be why. think the smalist fish i have is a bumble bee goby so he would be first to go methinks along with the guppy's if no feeding happend!! i can get small pots from work as we use them for samples and then bin them so we have thousands!! i will get some. would it be worth my friend poping some stress zyme in once a week?
thermalthong

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

I don't think it will need it. If the feeding is only done every 4 days, and not a large amount, they should be fine.
Do a water change a couple of days before you go and check the filter and everything is working well. Do not be attempted to overfeed either!
Do you have any live food? That would not pollute the tank either. No worries if you don't, it was just a thought.
Carylnz

Postby thermalthong » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:06 am

when i get some live plants i will get live food as well as i like to give them a varied diet. they normally have frozen food cubes, flake, mealworms, bloodworm pellets, freeze dried tubifix worms and daphnia. the plec and ancistrus have cucumber or algae wafers if i run out.
thermalthong

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:58 am

It may pay to check your friend does not have a bloodworm allergy before you leave him to it. This is a common allergy and can be nasty in many people.
Carylnz

Postby thermalthong » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:31 pm

he does not have an allergy so all good. thanks for the input peeps.
thermalthong

Return to Freshwater Discussion