Overpopulating Snails!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Overpopulating Snails!

Postby theocdsquirrel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 pm

Hello!

I've had my 35 litre tank for the last 2 months - and it's all going swimmingly well! I have live plants, gravel and currently have:

4 balloon platies
1 siamese fighting fish
1 butterfly plec
1 bristlenose plec/catfish

They are all pretty healthy but the only problem I'm facing is the snails in the tank - I understand that when I had put the plants in they had been carrying the snail eggs but now I can see lots and lots of snail eggs amongst the 20 odd snails in there already. How can I get rid of them or at least stop them overpopulating?! I've heard that I can introduce yoyo loaches? BUT would they get on with the fish I already have? And if so - how many can I have in such a small tank?

Please can someone advise - I'd really appreciate it! :D

Many thanks!!! x
theocdsquirrel

Re: Overpopulating Snails!

Postby englishmx » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Lots of threads recently about snails, as much as they can be part of 'eco system' I don't like them in my tanks.

When I have had issues, there is no need to add anything, just cut down on your feeding, remove the larger ones by hand and it will soon resolve itself
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Sarah » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

Hi

I would echo that
I have same size tank ( 1 betta, 3 plattys, 2 ottos and plants) and became overrun with snails from eggs on plants
I fed less and every water change removed snails by hand and over a few weeks seemed to have overcome the problem=still have a few but nothing like it was before
I did try to get an assassin snail but LFS did not have so opted for manual removal
Sarah
35 litre tank
1 betta
5 platies
plus a pond with 4 orfes and 2 comets
Sarah

Postby cousin it » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Manual removal and reducing feeding/ removing any dying plant matter from the tank is the best way to control snails, your water quality will improve by a great deal and the activity of your fish will also improve, I do not use any form of snail control other than this in any of my tanks and none of them have any issues with excess snail populations.

Over the last few months I have seen a fair few images of assasin snails killing shrimp in tanks once the snail population has reduced whiich has made me wary of keeping them.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby cobden28 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 am

cousin it wrote:Manual removal and reducing feeding/ removing any dying plant matter from the tank is the best way to control snails, your water quality will improve by a great deal and the activity of your fish will also improve, I do not use any form of snail control other than this in any of my tanks and none of them have any issues with excess snail populations.

Over the last few months I have seen a fair few images of assasin snails killing shrimp in tanks once the snail population has reduced whiich has made me wary of keeping them.

Reducing feeding so that there's less grug on the gravel is the main solution to the problem, in my limited experience, but assassin snails complete the solution. I don't have shrimps so I don't have the problem of snails eating shrimps - and it is rare now for me to see a snailother than an assassin in my tank.
cobden28

Postby butch073 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am

Best thing i ever did with snails was introduce 2 botia loavhes. Wiped them all out within a week and keep the bottom so clean !! :-)
butch073

Return to Freshwater Discussion