Feature Fishies

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Feature Fishies

Postby MBOP » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 am

Hello,

I have a rio juwel 125 tank with; 7 zebra danios, 4 male guppies, 9 neon tetras and 2 albino corys.

In the next couple of weeks I am wanting to purchase some more fish but cannot decide which to get :?

I would like to purchase some feature fish but not sure which are best for my tank, I like cichlids (dwarfs) and gourami's but not sure what kinds as I dont want them to grow too big and my other fish to feel threatened, also how many should I get?!

Any suggestions?!?!

Thank You :-D
MBOP

Re: Feature Fishies

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 pm

3 Pearl or orange gouramis would suit.
Check out various rainbowfish. There are some stunning ones out there but I am unsure what is available in your part of the world.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby MBOP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you, can I mix the gourami's? and have two of each? or am I best sticking to one kind?

I will look into the rainbowfish too :-)
MBOP

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 am

You can mix them but the sex ratio is important. 1 male and 2 females.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:36 pm

rainbows are lovely..i have 4 lake katubu ( turquoise )...rainbows in my community tank.

the colours are so nice....they do colour up more as they get older.

had mine for over a year and considering getting some more,when i have got rid of the extra fish in my tank.

had a 200 litre crack so had to put fish in main tank....arse.... :angry:

the dominant male develops a yellow stripe from mouth to tail,over his back when he gets excited :lol:

they do tend to stay as a fairly close group aswell...

but there are so many stunning fish to chose from.....

a pair of kribensis (dwarf cichlid)..would add a nice splash of colour aswell.they are mainly tolerant of others in a community tank...until it's breeding time...then they will defend their young/eggs,with gusto...

some nice pearl...moonlight or opaline gourami's would be good, as suggested above. i have 3 opalines and they are lovely fish....

hope it's gave you some food for thought anyway......

ady :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby MBOP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you for your reply, I have done some research but have a few questions regarding the fish I like...

Cockatoo's and Ram's - Firstly can I have both these species in the same tank? I have read that cockatoos will eat smaller fish and I have 9 neon tetras so should I not get these? If they are ok for my tank how many should I get? I preferably wanted all males in my tank but have read males are agressive towards each other?

Dwarf Gourami's - can these mix with the cocatoos and rams? again if so how many should I get, based on my all male tank if possible?

Finally, my tank currently only has artificial plants in however when I get my next fish I am going to get a couple of plants, will the above be ok in a tank that is not fully planted?

Thanks for all you help :-)
MBOP

Postby ady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 am

im not sure about the mixing of rams and cockatoo's.

when i was thinking of geting a pair of rams.i was advised not to due to the fact i already had a pair of kribs....hopefully cousin it can advise you,like he did me...
also he a bit of a plant guru :) ...

i would start off with a simple,not intensive care plant.

i started with java ferns and anubias/mini anubias.they dont require high output lighting.

my anubias have been split already.started off with 2..now have 4 plants,all 3x bigger than the originals i bought.

both need attaching to bogwood or stone,as they will rot if buried in your substrate.

amazon swords and 2 other plant varieties have recently be added.all natural now...looks so much better.although saying that i did start off with plastic plants myself..didnt wanna run b4 i walked :lol:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby MBOP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for the info on the plants.

Okay, I think if I am to get any gourami's I am going to get the honey ones as from what I have read they are the most placid - any suggestions how many I should get?

Then if possible I will get maybe 2 rams and/or 2 dwarf flag cichlids?

Any suggestions? Theres tooooo much choice :-)
MBOP

Return to Freshwater Discussion