new old fish...

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

new old fish...

Postby nicci » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi, I need a little advice please, I am thinking of adopting 3 little barbs left in my parents fish tank, they want to close it down, currently I only have an 8 inch clown loach and a 9-10 inch glass cat fish so i thought the would be happy with my, however about a year ago there was a disease in my parents tank that wiped out everything except these 3, so, my question is, do you think that after a year they will be safe to have? thankyou for your time :)
nicci

Re: new old fish...

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 am

That is a hard one to answer as it depends on what type of disease it was. Some could live within the fish. They are now immune to it but may spread it to others they come in contact with who do not have the same immunity. Do you know what it was?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby nicci » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't know what the disease was, will ask my parents if they remember the symptoms :-)
nicci

Postby nicci » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:39 pm

they seem to have had white spots all over them and cloudy eyes...what do you think? :?
nicci

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:58 pm

It sounds like those fish may have succumbed to infections due to poor water quality. A fish with whitespot looks like it has been sprinkled with salt. Cloudy eyes can be a sign of other infections - often due to water quality.
Whitespot can break out in any seemingly healthy looking fish if conditions are not right or it is stressed etc.
I would think that after a year it should be safe to add the barbs, assuming they have been healthy ever since.
Fingers crossed :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby nicci » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 pm

ok, thankyou for your help :-)
nicci

Return to Freshwater Discussion