POPULATION EXPLOSION!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

POPULATION EXPLOSION!

Postby cobden28 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I've had my 4 ft tropical tank set up for a year and it contains the following:-

Pr bristlenose catfish
Trio honey gourami (believe they're all male)
9 glowlight tetra's
5 black neons
4 guppies
at least half a dozen platies
Trio Sterba's corydoras
5 silver hatchet fish.

We live in a hard water area, the tank is fairly densely planted and my problem is what to do about the livebearer population which seems to be very rapidly increasing - mainly because, I think, of all the livebearers there is only one male guppy and one male platy amongst the lot. Therefore lots of females, all of which are looking very full of babies! :!:

Can anyone suggest a commumity-type fish which will help keep the livebearer population under control without nibbling at the gourami? If I didn't have the gourami I'd be considering a couple of angel fish to do the job. Or would a few more tetra's (I was thinking of black neons, to even the numbers up a bit) be better? :?:

Finally, please, is my tank already holding enough fish for its size? :?:
cobden28

Re: POPULATION EXPLOSION!

Postby englishmx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 pm

cobden28 wrote:
Can anyone suggest a commumity-type fish which will help keep the livebearer population under control without nibbling at the gourami? :

Re home the males :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby ady » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 pm

angels do a pukka job of controlling fry from live bearers.

i got 4 footer aswell.....had swordtails,mollies and a few guppies.......how my angels grew.....

they are on em like a flash....it may seem cruel to others,but i'd rather a natural solution....after all if there wern't predators,the live beareres wouldn't produce so proficently.circle of life stuff......

never had any problems with gourami' either....i have 3 opaline and they in top notch condition.

hope it helps
ady
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:04 am

No, rehome the FEMALES!
Have a look at rainbowfish. There are many species but I do not know which are readily available in your part of the world.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby englishmx » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:04 am

Carylnz wrote:No, rehome the FEMALES!

Oops, typo, off course the Females :oops:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby cobden28 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm

To continue with this tale, last night I saw an example of what's been happening to all my livebearer babies....a very tiny platy came out of hiding amongst the leaves of my Java fern, straight into the mouth of a black neon! So for population control of livebearers 'the natural way', it's going to have to be tetra's for me.
cobden28

Return to Freshwater Discussion