Tank water changes and general questions :)

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Tank water changes and general questions :)

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi all, just wondering how often i should carry out a water change on my tank and how much. At the moment i change about 25% of my 60 litres at least once a week. Just wonderd if that was ok and to carry on. Also how often do i clean the filter, ornaments and inside the tank (like algae and what not)?

Also i have two male and two female guppies (female bought a few days ago) and wanted some info on breeding them and then raising the fry (rather than them dying)? I have a 60 litre tank with all my fish in and a smaller 28 litre tank what had some fish in but i have moved them into the bigger tank for more space.

Any good water testing kits on the market from pets at home or ebay or anywhere else i hav'nt looked?

Hope to get a reply soon, thanks ;)
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds
2 bronze corydoras cat fish

60 litre tank 24°c
External filter :D Mclaren F1 Team 2012 Jenson Button
Petrolheadjoe

Re: Tank water changes and general questions :)

Postby ady » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm

hi there.

most of us use the API freshwater test kit.very accurate and easy to use.ebay it tho....when i bought mine i saved nearly 15 quid on the PAH price.really good piece of kit.

the guppies dont need any help to breed.they breed like rabbits :lol: .they are also called the millions fish because of their bredding habits.it's best to have more females than males,to reduce the chasing on each female and the stress that it causes.

i would remove the fry as they arrive.put them into the smaller tank to grow on.but you do need to get rid of them once bigger,that can be a problem unless a fish shop agrees to take them.

my growing on tank is a 35 litre.keep the bottom of the tank plain ( no sand or gravel ).this will make removing uneaten food and poo so much easier.suck it up with ya tube when you do a water change.i do a 50 % change each week,as water quality is paramount in a breeding tank.i will increase this soon as the mollies and kribs grow up.i would get some liquifry for live bearers and add that a few days before the fish go in.this stimulates growth of infusorias ( microscopic oragnisms ).also add it twice a day for the first few days.then you can use finely crushed up flake,brine shrimp eggs ( non hatching and decapsulated ) but use sparingly as they go a seriuosly long way.if you want to grow your own brine shrimp from eggs,you need a hatchery and hatching eggs.apart from that i add a couple of bloodworm pellets and a small chunk of algae wafer 3 times a week.

i would say your water change schedule is about right for your stocking levels.get the test kit and check it,it will guide you better...IE...too much ammonia,increase the water change amount.

hope that helps ya

good luck

ady
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi ady,

Yeh i have just been down to pets at home and had a little look around and spoke to a guy in there about this stuff aswell. I did see the api test kit was about £33 in pets at home and i looked on ebay whilst there via phone and i saw it was about £15/£20 which is a good bargin, so when i next get paid, that will be a priority :)

Yeh the guy in the shop said that the females could die from the stress from the males pestering them.

Yes, putting the fry in a seperate tank sounds good. It sounds like itl be hard trying to keep the water conditions just right. An also yes hard to not get millions like you say :/

I have an internal filter which is quite fast flowing and the fry would probably get stuck and die, so are there any low flow filters or any ideas for this problem?

The liquifry is a good idea.
I will plan on getting a water testing kit and start testing as soon as i get it then just before i do a water change then a day after, that will give me a good idea of whats going on.

Also the guy in the shop said to do a rough 15% change about every 2 weeks taking into account the test levels.

Yes, has helped alot.

Many Thanks Ady
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Postby ady » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:24 pm

it wont be too hard to keep the little one's alive fella....even if you just feed em crushed flake they will be ok..after the first few days of course...even put a tiny bit of flake in so they get used to it...

no probs
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi ady,
How often do i eiter clean or replace my filter pads? I have an external filter with three single filter pads that slot in. I think its called a marina filter. I know the bacteria have to build up for the biological process but how often would i change one of the filter pads. I could leave two and replace one every few months maybe?

Thanks, Joe.
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Postby ady » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

general rule for filter cleaning is when the output flow slows down.if you have just set the tank up,leave it well alone until it slows down...

the sponges dont need replacing unless they start to fall apart.they should be quite tough,so only clean em and not replace em unless absolutly needed.

as you have only a few fish at the mo it will take a good while for it to slow down.

when you clean em,do it in the tank water,when doing a change.just a bit of gentle manipulation should shift the majority of the crud.being gentle means you dont remove the bacteria,just the crud.

you could clean the 2 dirtiest pads and leave the other alone,helping to maintian the bacteria.

experience of your tank will let you know when to change and clean.my external canister gets done about 4 times a year.if it slows before that,i generally just give the first sponge screens a wash out and leave the rest alone.

when you get your nursery tank ready to go,give a filter sponge a "squeeze" into the water.this will seed your filter lovely and drastically cut down the maturing time.adding enough bacteria to cope with the little one's waste right away.

some people put tights over the intake for the filter,thus stopping little one's getting sucked up or stuck to it.or if the filter has a flow adjuster you could turn that down a bit,but it has to keep the surface rippling to get oxygen into the water..

ady :)
ady

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks ady :). If i were to keep the baby fry in their breeding net in the main tank untill their big enough to not get eaten and can take care of themselfs, would that be ok?

:)
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Postby englishmx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Petrolheadjoe wrote:Thanks ady :). If i were to keep the baby fry in their breeding net in the main tank untill their big enough to not get eaten and can take care of themselfs, would that be ok?

:)

Yup :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Cool :D
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Now not so cool :/ ! I noticed one of my goldfish had a bit of fungus/white spot on him for a while, so i put some treatment in the water then the lump of white spot had slightly pealed away. Now i noticed one of my corys have a small white spot on his right fin. I did read that once the white spot/ich/ick opens on the fish it then spreads(only read this today) so now ive put both goldfish in seperate tank with treatment and still treating main tank for corydoras.

:( theres allways a problem with anything, whatever it may be :/

How often would you reccomend adding the treatment to the tank? Is it as simple as adding the treatment on a regular basis?

Thanks,

Joe.
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Postby Petrolheadjoe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Well ive done a 50% water change on both tanks removing all the plants and ornaments so i can use my gravel sucking syphon to get some crud out aswell as some water. I then added the tap safe and fungistop treatment to the water when putting it in. All plants back in now and fish fed, all seems to be ok. I shall repeat this but on a smaller scale (25% water change every 2 days and add treatment everyday). Then when the white spot is visably gone ill carry on adding treatment for a good six days after to make sure the parasite is gone. But i would definatly agree on 10/20% water changes each week.

Hope this works :(
2 gold fish
1 male guppy
2 female guppies
2 white clouds

60 litre tank 24°c
Petrolheadjoe

Return to Freshwater Discussion