Can i get angelfish in my tank?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Can i get angelfish in my tank?

Postby SplashOfColour » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Just womdering, i have a south american/amazon biotope aquarium. I currently have, two rams, eight corydoras, 6 pristella tetras, 4 neon tetras, five black neon tetras, one hatchet fish, 1 plec and 1 shrimp in a 120 l juwel lido. I was wondering if i can get an angelfish in there? I could possibly remove ten fish to another tank to make room, although i read somewhere thatthe tank shape may not suit an angelfish?
SplashOfColour

Re: Can i get angelfish in my tank?

Postby Carylnz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:18 pm

The trouble with angelfish is some are just nasty! They may start of fine but as they grow they become very territorial so start attacking the other fish. You may come to regret it unless you manage to end up with a peaceful, laidback angel.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SplashOfColour » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Do you think i could get one in there without moving fish? Or would i have to move them to another tank? Thanks
SplashOfColour

Postby Carylnz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm

You could try it and see what happens. Why only 1 hatchet? I believe they are best in a group as they feel more secure. What species is the plec? If it is a common, it will grow way too big and will keep destroying your decor and uprooting plants every time it moves.
A lot depends on your tank maintenance as to how many fish you can keep in there.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SplashOfColour » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Well i brought two hatchet fish, and was going to get another two, but one had died this morning due to whitespot, i started treating it but i guess i was a bit too late, all my other fish are in excellent condition though:) im going to get two more soon, when iv finsihed treating the tank, and its a bristlenose plec that i have! And so you think i could try an angelfish then?
SplashOfColour

Return to Freshwater Discussion