how long.....

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

how long.....

Postby donna121kitten » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi guys.

so iv finished redoing my tank. its got a new Fluvel 306 filter and new sand and rocks.. iv put all new water in it and all the stuff for the water, and a new heater. now...

How long should i leave it befor putting some of my fish back in there. they are all in my old small tank and think thay dont really like it coz it is a lot smaller then what there used to. i have had it up and running for about a week. and im going to pour some of the water from the smaller tank in to in tonight to help.

so any advice would be great as when to put some of my fish back in.

1x red line torpedo barb
3x tiger barbs
3x green barbs
2x angel2
2x brisle nose plecs
1x zigzag Eel
3x kuli loach
and about 5 others i dont no the names of.

Meny Thanks guys.

Donna.x
donna121kitten

Re: how long.....

Postby donna121kitten » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

hay guys...

So any advice for me....??
donna121kitten

Postby markee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:30 pm

I've not read your previous posts on the forum but i'm guessing you've just upgraded your tank to a larger one? A new filter/rocks/substrate would unfortunately mean starting from scratch with the cycling, in which case you have two options (1) fish-in cycle (2) fish-out cycle. You could cycle your tank with the fish in but it would mean a lot of water changes & the risk of losing some/all of your fish if not monitored daily. A fishless cycle would be the safest option, the cycling time could be sped up with regular filter squeezes from your other tank. You could transfer some of your other tank water over but the bulk of the beneficial bacteria will be on the rocks/substrate/filter.
markee

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 pm

I believe this is a 125L tank? Are you not using the same filter from the old tank? If so, no problem. If you are not using the older tank I would add all the water from it to the new one as well.
That torpedo barb really needs a 6ft tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion