Sick ram? Behaviour? Please help

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Sick ram? Behaviour? Please help

Postby SplashOfColour » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi i have two rams in my planted tank. They have been in there for around one month, and have been fine up until this past week. One of them was sitting at the top of the tank with its fin in the filter box asif to stay still, and the other one was investigating. Now the fish rarely swims and just hugs the bottom with its belly. Its showing no physical symptoms of illness, it is still very brightly coloured, it seems to be just 'resting' alot, and breathing rapidly! It occasionaly will swim a small amount. But nothing in comparison to what it used to be like.. Please help! I carry out regular water tests and changes and all my other fish are fine. It sometimes 'leans' itself up against where to water is sucked through the filter box! PLEASE HELP
SplashOfColour

Re: Sick ram? Behaviour? Please help

Postby Carylnz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 am

Be aware these fish are very sensitive to water quality so something the other fish will find "OK" will not be so for this species.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby SplashOfColour » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:37 pm

The lil guywas dead when iwoke up this morning, the other one seems fine, the only changes i have made since the rams seemed to be acting strange is a different plant food 'easy life easycarbo'. There is also some grey fluff/wool type substance hanging from my bogwood. Pleasehelp, my water quality is perfect.
SplashOfColour

Postby Carylnz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Sometimes you might never find the cause of a fish death without being able to do fishy autopsy and microscopic examination of internal bits. There are too many varying factors we know nothing about that could have contributed. Perhaps it had internal bacteria causing the gills to inflame, hence the rapid breathing. Gill flukes?
Some others complain of a fluff on their bogwood but usually white and stringy. This goes away after a time. Was the wood cleaned thoroughly before adding to the tank? Perhaps it needs removal and a quick boil to kill the fungus.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

i had that bloom of fluffy white stuff on a wood branch aswell.not on bogwood tho.looked like cotton wool in the water.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Freshwater Discussion