How many fish?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

How many fish?

Postby Klee25 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I have a 63 litre juwel aquarium, It took me 2 months to get the water right and I have been slowly adding fish over the weeks since then and getting the water tested every time I add more, I now have 3 Platies, 3 guppys and 5 cardinal tetras, can I still add more fish or is this the limit for the size of the tank? Thanks :D
Klee25

Re: How many fish?

Postby Carylnz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 am

Well done for adding the fish slowly!
I think you could add 4 or 5 more fish of a similar size but what sex are the live bearers? If you have both male and female you will soon have fry and your stocking numbers will quickly rise on their own :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby sashron » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Carylnz wrote:Well done for adding the fish slowly!

So at what rate exactly would you recommend beginners should fill their tanks If someone wants to go for a 63 litre tank?
sashron

Postby Klee25 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Thanks, The guppies are all male, I have one male platy and two female platies which I have seen mating 2 months ago as they were the first fish in the tank, I assumed the females were pregnant but there have been no fry and they don't look any different...
I would like to put in the little corydoras but it says keep in a group, how many classes as a group and are they suitable for my tank?
Klee25

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 am

3 or more for corys.
I always like to keep stocking simple...
If you have a 2ft tank add 4 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 4 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.
If you have a 3ft tank add 6 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 6 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.
If you have a 4ft tank add 8 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 8 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby sashron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 am

Carylnz wrote:3 or more for corys.
I always like to keep stocking simple...
If you have a 2ft tank add 4 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 4 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.
If you have a 3ft tank add 6 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 6 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.
If you have a 4ft tank add 8 neon sized fish. Wait 1 month and if all is well, add 8 more. Repeat until stocking has reached the required level.

Roger that, thanks
sashron

Return to Freshwater Discussion