Anyone else have a blind fish?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Anyone else have a blind fish?

Postby KBurnett1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:00 am

Got this fish with the new 2nd hand tank we bought.
The previous owner thinks it is blind.
It is a very happy fish , but i just wondered if anyone else has a blind fish.
We can tell he uses his feelers at the front to work out whats where and where the food is. He is also unfased if we come very close to the tank which makes me think that he is blind. And sometimes he will swim into another fish.
I have no worries about him, but only curious to find out how common it is and if any other members have a blind fish.

Here is a link to a photo which shows the eyes white and cloudy, quite like how a humans or animals is when they are blind.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 240742.jpg

Kirsty
KBurnett1

Re: Anyone else have a blind fish?

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 am

In case you did not know, that is a hoplo catfish, one of my favourites. I think he will cope quite well despite being blind, especially if you feed him in the same spot of the tank each day. He will quickly learn where to find the food.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby sashron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am

KBurnett1 wrote:Got this fish with the new 2nd hand tank we bought.
Here is a link to a photo which shows the eyes white and cloudy, quite like how a humans or animals is when they are blind.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... 240742.jpg

Kirsty

I had no idea it shows exactly in the same in fish and humans. interesting...
sashron

Postby KBurnett1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Yes I forgot to post in the post what kind of fish he was, silly me!
Took a little time to work out what he was but I think he is lovely and his tummy underneath is really nice.
He is currently in our 2ft tank while the 4ft one is set up and seems to know his way around already :) And because he is blind I can get really close up pics :D
KBurnett1

Postby Rob W » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 pm

I have one of those, he's a mellow soul and nothing bothers him at all. He actually comes to the surface and takes flakes and pellets out of my hand. :)

I have a one-eyed silver shark too, he came with the tank, I didn't want a silver shark but I knew the LFS wouldn't have him so he's been a guest for about a year now. No problems feeding even though his vision is impaired.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby ady » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm

they do fair well with the lose of sight.i have a kissing gourami that lost an eye.he fine.chases the other much larger kiser aswell...not shy at all.

also have an opaline with the same eye problem as you.it aint effected them much either

bless em
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby dawida » Fri May 25, 2012 10:06 am

When I used to have danios, I noticed sometime after I got them that one of my females was missing an eye. She had both eyes when I got her, and she wasn't in with especially aggressive fish so I have no idea what happened to it. Just one day it was gone. She seemed to swim in circles a lot more often than her comrades but otherwise was fine.
I called her One-Eyed Mary.
dawida

Return to Freshwater Discussion