CORYDORAS CATFISH

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

CORYDORAS CATFISH

Postby cobden28 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I have a 4 ft 'commumity' tank in our living room, fairly densely planted and with a happy peaceful community of fish. A couple of months ago I added a trio of Sterbai corydoras, then realised it might be better if I had three more but when I went back to my LFS they had no nore Sterbai in stock. Albino sterbai, yes - but I wanted the 'ordinary' ones.

For several consecutive weeks I regularly asked my LFS if they were anticipating any sterbai in their next delivery and was told that for four weeks they'd been ordered but for these same four weeks they weren't available. I eventually decided to buy a trio of Julii instead; all six cories are living happily and are healthy, eating a variety of dried foods with a weekly treat of live bloodworm/tubifex.

Earlier today I went to buy fresh bloodworm and was amazed to see sterbai cories available for sale at last. Unfortunately I now think I have enough fish in my tank and don't have room for any more sterbai.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
cobden28

Re: CORYDORAS CATFISH

Postby Carylnz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:36 am

Sterbai's are small. Are you sure you can't fit 3 more in? Especially as you say the tank is 4ft and densely planted :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 am

I'd like to, but have I the room, do you think? The tank currently holds:-

2 x guppies
8 x platies
7 x x x glowlight tetra's
5 x black neons
4 x silver hatchet fish
3 x honey gourami
2 x bristlenose catfish
10 x neon tetra's
3 x corydoras Julii
3 x corydoras sterbai
cobden28

Postby ady » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:47 pm

by looking at that stock level,most fish are small bodied so i reckon you will be fine to add 3 more little one's.

the only other bottom feeders are bristlies and if the other cory's aint fazed by em there should be room....gotta love them cory's 8)

hopefully someone else can confirm this for ya
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby cousin it » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:38 pm

if the tank is well planted I can not see any issues with adding another 3 to the tank, they do not add a huge amount to the bio load of the tank, I have around 20- 30 in my rio 400 and do not really count them in the bio load of that tank but is is very well planted and has excellent filtration on it.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Return to Freshwater Discussion