Pearl Gourami

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Pearl Gourami

Postby colinlp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Hello

We have a 1000L tank that has been running for a couple of years, it has some Cardinals, Rummy noses, a Pearl Gourami and a load of Cherry red shrimp which keep on top of the algae. About 6 months ago we added some baby Angels in the hope of them leaving the tetras and shrimp alone if they grew up with them. No such luck, most of the shrimp got eaten, so a good home for the Angels was found and now we have a huge hole in the bio load so to speak.

So we have been thinking of getting some Pearl Gouramis so a couple of questions:

Can we have a group/shoal of these, say ten without all hell breaking loose?
Will they eat the shrimp? I know from experience that Betas do

Thanks
colinlp

Re: Pearl Gourami

Postby Carylnz » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

You can have a group of pearl gouramis. Mine coexisted quite happily. I can't answer thew shrimp question though as we do not have tropical shrimp in NZ so I don't know if the gouramis will eat them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby colinlp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for that, I thought so as I had seen a photo of a group of Pearls somewhere but you never know if it's been photoshoped. We have the one pearl and he doesn't seem to bother the shrimp.
colinlp

Postby englishmx » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Pearl Gouramis will in most cases eat your CRS, especially any Juvenile ones :(

Also keep an eye on the Cardinal's again especially with any Juvenile shrimps, I have just read this on the net.....

My 25 cardinals ate all of the Snowball and CRS in my 29 gallon tank (about 30 shrimp). It didn't matter that there were places to hide. The Cardinals would hunt them and shred them to pieces

As shocking as it sounds, I have witnessed this first hand in my 180L heavily planted tank
Mike...
englishmx

Postby colinlp » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Never had a problem with the Cardinals, we had about 80 when the shrimp population was at it's highest. Absolutely no idea how many there are in there now, I'll certainly keep my eye open for them not that there is anything I could do.

Thanks for the info about the Pearls, looks like I will give them a miss. The shrimp do such a good job of keeping the tank spotless I would hate to be without them now
colinlp

Return to Freshwater Discussion