nice chinese algaeeater

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

nice chinese algaeeater

Postby jennifer o » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 pm

so i though id do an unusual post.

i was given two of these beggars, one unfortunately died a few weeks ago.

had the remaining one about 4 months, but hes around 2 years old now and ive continued to hear bad things about these guys but i think they are wonderful, entertaining things.

yeh hes a messy bugger but hes not agressive to my other fish in the slightest, and i love his mad 15 minutes that he has everyhour or so..

he looks me up and down sometimes as in to say ' look away from the glass woman ' kinda way lol

i thought id take the time to stick up for this species and say they arnt all bad at all :)
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Re: nice chinese algaeeater

Postby markee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

That's the problem with reputations, they all get tarred with the same brush when realistically each fish has it's own personality. I've had a fish that had been deemed 'less aggressive' but after a week in my tank it had killed 4 fish!
markee

Postby jennifer o » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 pm

ouch, what fish was that you had?
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

still learning
jennifer o

Postby markee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm

It was a Pseudotropheus socolofi, a mildly aggressive Cichlid, i've known people to keep these without any problems, it was a devil fish for me though!
markee

Postby Rob W » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm

I took in a golden chinese algae eater from a workmate as it was too small for his tank. It was much the same as you describe yours, hid for most of the time and had a mad half hour in the evening, never ate any algae though but never bothered the other fish either. It had a mad thrashing session one night and clonked itself on the hood of the tank, it died a few days afterwards probably from the concussion. Ironically if it had been left in a smaller tank it probably wouldn't have got up enough momentum to do that. :(
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 pm

I had them years ago and never had problems but over the years I wonder if someone didn't cross some with piranha or something :wink:
In later years reports had them start sucking on the flat bodied fish and harassing others.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jennifer o » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:27 pm

awwww poor guy who clonked his head..... i do love them....he seems to have beef with one of the plecs....not fighting or anything but hes trying to get in the plecs cave...plecs not having any of it lol

yeh i see what you mean about them being crossed with pirannahs after all the bad things ive read haha

at the moment hes been moved to a 200l tank, he loves it and is following the cories about eveywhere!!! if he misbehaves...back to the smaller tank he goes :)

still learning
jennifer o

Return to Freshwater Discussion