Guppy and guppy fry questions

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Guppy and guppy fry questions

Postby keatingschick » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Hiya,
Sorry not been around for a while, had all sorts of stuff going on but luckily been peaceful on the tank front....until now.. :rofl:

About a month ago, slightly more I bought a pair of ENDLERS GUPPIES. Like a numpty it was only when I got home that I realised I would then have 3 males and 1 female but wasnt sure if the normal guppies would bother with the endlers female. They sort of did but didn't hound her or anything (not until the last week but thats a different story), but I decided that I'd keep an eye on them and then add a few more females just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, cycle forward to last week and she started acting odd, I counted back and it was about 28days since getting the pair and so I figured even though she didn't particularly look overly round, she MIGHT be having babies. Then I spotted a couple. I had a bit of a dilema and a quick google to see what to do, I decided that since my tank is pretty heavily planted, to try and catch her in and out of the plants and rocks etc. would take some doing might cause alot of upset and distress and so I went with the theory of a heavily planted tank might provide places for the babies to hide. So, now a week later, I can actually see at any one time around 5 babies. I'm giving liquifry and they seem to be doing ok.

My questions are:

1. Are they certain to be Endlers babies, or is it going to be a chance of it being any of the males?

2. IF it's not the Endlers, will I know which male? i.e. will it look like one of the males or will they be totally random combinations?

3. How soon will I be able to tell males from females?

Thanks.
keatingschick

Re: Guppy and guppy fry questions

Postby Carylnz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

1. Are they certain to be Endlers babies, or is it going to be a chance of it being any of the males? Any of them

2. IF it's not the Endlers, will I know which male? i.e. will it look like one of the males or will they be totally random combinations? You may not know. Depends on previous parents, grandparents etc. She may have been pregnant on arrival too or holding sperm so dad may not be one of your males.

3. How soon will I be able to tell males from females? By 3 months I think. Sooner if you have good eyesight :wink:

Unless you have somewhere for the fry, it is better to let them breed in the main tank and survival of the fittest (or fastest) anyway. Less stress on mum too.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby keatingschick » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:02 am

Thanks Carylnz,

I do have one of those breeding trap things that I got when my corys laid, but to be honest I think I'd have struggled to get her with all the plants and I knew it would be stressful for her, so I just sort of hoped that a few might get through. I've just been looking and there is definately 5 (could be more hiding), that are now swimming out with all the other fish and not bothered. Quite impressed actually :D , my corys have laid many many times, and as quick as mum can lay one of the other corys swims along behind eating them :roll: , so I'm really quite pleased that I've a couple survived. Can't wait to see what they are, I'd like to see what the males are like, just to see whether it is any of my males or what kind of fancy patterns turn out, but females would be ideal so this poor girl doesn't get hassled by my 3 males now.
keatingschick

Postby sjheald » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Follwing on from this. How soon do Guppies fry start getting colour?
I have got half a dozen in a breeding trap that are about 6-8 weeks old still all grey .
thanks
sjheald

Postby keatingschick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm

Well mine are all still greyish and are at least 6 weeks. A couple do have black on their tails though but nothing else yet.
keatingschick

Postby Carylnz » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:24 am

It varys depending on the colour of parents and previous generations. Some show earlier than others but I would expect them to start colouring up from now on.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion