Mysterious deaths.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Mysterious deaths.

Postby cobden28 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

Further to my recent posting re. corydoras catfish, over the past ten days I seem to have lost a few fish from my tank. The guppies and platies I've had a fair while and I'm assuming the reason I've lost them is because they're so inbred. The glowlight I'm assuming it was because of old age as it showed no obvious signs of anything being wrong with it, but I was a bit upset yesterday when i realised I'd lost one of my Sterbai cories plus I think one of the Julii as well.

I removed all corpses as soon as I noticed them, with the exception of the missing Julii as there's definitely only two there now and absolutely no sign of the third one. After discovering the dead Sterbai yesterday I removed the corpse and did an immediate water test - no changes to normal.

My routine with the tank is to change the filter pads, vaccuum the gravel etc on a Friday which is tomorrow. As I have lost about half-a-dozen small fish within the past week or so, my husband thinks I should do a major water change this week - is this necessary?

I had been planning on adding a couple more Sterbai and I was pleased to note that earlier this week my local Maidenhead Aquatics had at last got some in stock, but after my recent losses I'm reluctant to add more fish until I've solved the problem of why I've lost the two cories at the same time. Previously I'd not noticed any odd behaviour from any of my cories and they were all eating/swimming about normally; there were no obvious signs of injury on the bodies so does anyone on this forum have any idea as to why they died?

When could I safely go ahead and add some more Sterbai? And should I do a water change tomorrow?
cobden28

Re: Mysterious deaths.

Postby Rob W » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:18 pm

No idea at all sorry. :(
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Carylnz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Do you have any idea how old the fish are? When you buy several of the same species, from the same place, they are likely to be siblings so will all die within a similar time frame. Corys should live 5+ years (possibly even up to 7).
It never hurts to do a water change and keep up your normal routine.
Have you added anything to the tank since the deaths started? No signs of anything either in behaviour before death, or marks, swellings, red gills etc?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:56 pm

The dead platies were all bred by me over the past twelvemonth and are the offspring of the offspring of the original group that I bought from a tank labelled 'various platies'. Still have four left, one male and three females; all fine with no obvious signs of injury/illness. The dead glowlight I'd had for almost a twelvemonth, since I set up the tank. No obvious signs of illness/injury or odd behaviour in any of the surviving fish.

When I change the filter pads and clean the tank tomorrow, do you reckon I ought to do a water change at the same time, and if so what proportion of tank water should I change?
cobden28

Postby Angel Fish » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I think you're probably right in your original assumption. Fish species weaken quite a bit when they interbreed, and if they were "brothers and sisters" when you bought them, who knows how far back the problem goes?

If you want to start breeding again, move your males to another tank and get a couple of new ones, preferably from a different LFS - all being well, you should get some healthy fry (although it might be a good idea to leave the females without males for a few months to make sure they're not "storing" ) :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby cobden28 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:00 pm

I now have only two platies left, a male and a female :( ; she looks very pregnant at the moment so I think I'll just wait and see whether she does produce fry and whether or not any manage to survive. I'm not sure many fry would survive though, as there's a fair population of tetra's in the tank.

I considered buying more platies but decided to go for black mollies instead - a male and three females. I now have a total of seven corydoras - two Julii and five Sterbai - and so far all appears well.
cobden28

Return to Freshwater Discussion