Resting Guppies

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Resting Guppies

Postby gallifreyocean » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:05 pm

I just got 2 male blue grass guppies earlier this afternoon later losing 3 platys last week. At first they were both swimming fast around the tank and now one of them just wants to rest on the bottom, I don't know if I should have a go at feeding them or are they just nervous?
gallifreyocean

Re: Resting Guppies

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 am

Could be nervous of new surroundings, new tank mates. I tend to leave new fish a day or two before feeding anyway to give them time to settle.
Could also be illness, which is why you should quarantine new fish. What did the platies die of?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby gallifreyocean » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:41 pm

I bought 3 female platys and one severely bullied the other two, biting and wounding them, they all died after 2 days of severe stress.

I've chosen 2 male guppies and they seem to be getting on fine. I did a 10% water change last night and the resting guppy seemed to perk up, I gave them some micro pellets and within seconds the food was eaten, and also this morning I did another small water change and a feed, now the guppy is resting again, could it be that my another male guppy is dominating him? I have a 3.2 gallon tank.
gallifreyocean

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 am

Is that imperial or US gallons? Either way, it is very small and not suitable for platys. What are the dimensions? Is is wider than it is tall?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby gallifreyocean » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 am

it's the same as 15 litres. Look up the Biorb Flow 15, thats my tank.

I have to say though, my new blue grass guppies are thriving and looking very happy in the tank, I only have 2 rather than 3, and they aren't as big as platys.
gallifreyocean

Return to Freshwater Discussion