POSSIBLE TREATMENT FOR POORLY FISH

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

POSSIBLE TREATMENT FOR POORLY FISH

Postby cobden28 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Today I've been out and bought four platies and a trio of guppies for my community tank that's in our living room. I didn't go to my usual fish shop but to a shop I used to buy from regularly with no problem when iIlived down in Portsmouth.

Now that I've got the fish in my tank, a couple of the platies don't seem quite right in the sense that they appear to be possibly missing scales and there's the hint of a white film over the scales of these two fish. I'm considering treating the tank with medication to treat these fish - the only product I have at home right now is something that treats whitespot (which absolutely NONE of the fish have), fungus and velvet. Do you think this is the right course of action for me to be taking?

It's just my luck I've noticed this late on a Saturday night and on a Bank Holiday weekend......I don't want to lose any fish so would appreciate anyone's advice!
cobden28

Re: POSSIBLE TREATMENT FOR POORLY FISH

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 am

Any possibility of separating them for treatment? Sounds like it could be velvet or an over-production of the slime coat due to a change in conditions or irritant.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 am

Unfortunately I don't have a spare tank so any treatment will have to be applied to the whole of my 4 ft tank. Would any such treatment necessarily harm any of the unaffected fish?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:15 am

I am not sure. Meds vary from country to country so I would not like to advise you since we are in different countries (and hemispheres!). I know scaleless fish are sensitive to a lot of meds but if you do not have any then treat the whole tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Applied some of the medication I had in my fish cupboard; it needed to be applied daily for three consecutive days and then not till day 6. I had enough for two doses but not for the dose on day 6, so got my husband to order me some from E-bay. It was ordered and paid for on the Tuesday so if the supplier had got their finger out I would have expected to receive my supply by the Friday, which would have been day 6. Unfortunately the supplier had run out of stocks and didn't get their supplies in till Friday, so it was Monday of this week before I received my supply.

By then I'd missed out on the dosage for day 6 of the original dosage schedule, so to be on the safe side I've had to start the course of treatment all over again! During this period I've lost a corydoras catfish and a guppy - I feel that had I been able to complete the course of medication this would not have happened.
cobden28

Postby Angel Fish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 pm

What was the medication you used?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby cobden28 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Angel Fish wrote:What was the medication you used?

It's called 'Protozin - whitespot and fungus'. The label on the bottle says it treats Whitespot (Ich), Oodinium (Velvet), Costiasis, Truchodiniasis, Neon Tetra Disease, Fungus.
cobden28

Return to Freshwater Discussion