New Tropical Tank (Advice and Help needed)

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

New Tropical Tank (Advice and Help needed)

Postby InfoH » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi all,

I've just setup a tank (60 litres) and have put a few fish in already (guppies and mollies)

I have a few questions that i'd like some answers on if anyone can help :)

* How long will it take for the water to clear? (its still a bit misty at the minute, tho its alot clearer than it was yesterday)

* what other fish can I put in there that will look good? - I really want nice colourful fish that look good.. i know a marine tank would be best but I cant devote the time required into that and not experienced enough for it so looking for some tropical alternatives

* is UV light in a tropical tank pointless or are there some fish that will look better under UV light?

* should I turn the light on the tank off during the night or leave it on 24/7?

* how often should I change the water in the tank?

* I see lots of what I assume is poo at the bottom of the tank on the gravel.. easy way to get rid of this? or will this be done when the tank is cleaned? should the filter not clean it?

thanks in advance :)
InfoH

Re: New Tropical Tank (Advice and Help needed)

Postby Carylnz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:50 am

I've just setup a tank (60 litres) and have put a few fish in already (guppies and mollies)
What do you call "a few"? A new tank of 60L, should start with 4 small fish to cycle.

* How long will it take for the water to clear? (its still a bit misty at the minute, tho its alot clearer than it was yesterday)
Depends on how many fish you added, whether there are live plants, how good the filtration is.

* what other fish can I put in there that will look good? - I really want nice colourful fish that look good.. i know a marine tank would be best but I cant devote the time required into that and not experienced enough for it so looking for some tropical alternatives
Not a lot in a small tank of that size. The fish you have chosen will give plenty of colour and personally, I think a lot of fish of the same species look a lot better than a few of this and a few of that of several different species. Besides, guppies are prolific breeders and you will quickly be overstocked.

* is UV light in a tropical tank pointless or are there some fish that will look better under UV light?
The UV is used to kill bugs, not to light the tank. It is an expensive addition that should not be necessary.

* should I turn the light on the tank off during the night or leave it on 24/7?
Would you like to live in the glare of a light 24/7? Fish need to sleep and if you have live plants, they need a regular cycle too. Turn the lights off at night.

* how often should I change the water in the tank?
This depends on your stocking levels and filtration but on a mature tank, weekly 20% water changes would be recommended.
Have you done any water tests on your tank? What ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings do you have?

* I see lots of what I assume is poo at the bottom of the tank on the gravel.. easy way to get rid of this? or will this be done when the tank is cleaned? should the filter not clean it?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: New Tropical Tank (Advice and Help needed)

Postby ady » Fri May 04, 2012 10:31 am

the filter will not clear the poo on the bottom.the way to get rid of it is too use a gravel vac when you do a water change.

i tend to do half the tank at a time,giving it a good going over.that way you get to clear all the crud every 2 weeks.

best adive i can give is stock your tank very slowly.this is the time that is critical.over stocking in a newly set up tank will spell disaster,lead to fish deaths and make you wanna forget the hobby.so pace yourself.it's the best way.the temptation to get it filled is strong,but you must resist :wink: :)

the filter has to develop a good stock of bacteria,without it the ammonia,nitrates etc will not be broken down.leading to high levels of ammonia.it can kill quickly in a small tank.i would not add anything for at least 2 weeks or better a month.this will let filter mature nicely.when you do add fish,only a few at a time to allow the filter catch up with the bio load from new fish..

when you clean the filter,never make it sparkling clean and only wash media in tank water..the chlorine in the tap water will kill the bacteria.never replace all the media at once for the same reason...those bacteria are THE filter...yes the filter catches the larger particles but it's the bacteria that does the job of removing/counter-acting the fish waste.

feed em lightly aswell,less food = less waste = less ammonia....

keep up the regular water changes using a tapsafe product to make it safe for your fish.

the filter should be making the water surface ripple,this allow oxygen in an co2 out...helping to keep water fresh

welcome to the hobby and this forum...any probs just ask.....
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Freshwater Discussion