RO Water Question!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

RO Water Question!

Postby Superdan114 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi guys

I have a cycled tank, set up for about 2 months using mature filter media. Its well planted with bogwood and sand substrate. I am using JBL manado substrate underneath the sand (for the plants). Tank is 180 litres and has 10 neon tetras and 2 bolivian rams. My eventual hope for this tank is to keep discus (4 hopeully). Ive done alot of research, read alot of books too. I have tested the Ph of my tank water and is around 7.6. Water from the tap is around 7 - 7.2.

So my question is, will mixing some RO water in lower my Ph? I live in a hard water area so i know my water needs to be softer too. My other options are using peat or alder cones. But using RO water seems like more of a measurable way to proceed. Any advice or experience from you guys would be great!

Thanks
Superdan114

Re: RO Water Question!

Postby Angel Fish » Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 am

Before trying to change things, it might be an idea to find out the pH and hardness of your LFS. If they successfully keep Discus, and they have similar conditions to you, there's no reason that you can't too :)
Stability is much better than precision :wink:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Superdan114 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks angel fish, allready been and had a look this morning. According to the lady at the counter the discus are kept at around 6 ish in ph. So that is a fair bit lower than my water. I've picked up 50 litres of RO water to help bring the ph down a little. Will just add bits at a time during water changes. Any ideas why my ph is higher in my tank then it is from the tap? Thanks for the help! :D
Superdan114

Postby Angel Fish » Sat May 05, 2012 5:11 pm

pH can change depending on the type of substrate/decor etc. Try standing some tap water in a clean glass for 24 hours and then test it. If there's no change from the reading you got straight from the tap you'll know it's probably something in the tank that's affecting it :)
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Return to Freshwater Discussion