Fluval CO2 88g System

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Fluval CO2 88g System

Postby Superdan114 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:12 pm

hi there

Does anyone have one of these kits? I bought one online, and received it yesterday. The canister is empty after 24 hours!? The regulator is leaking CO2 from a small hole. Guessing it is some sort of pressure relief but cant find any info on it? Not sure if its broken or I am doing something wrong!?

Any help or eperience with this system would be great!

Cheers
Superdan114

Re: Fluval CO2 88g System

Postby cousin it » Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 pm

I have one of those systems here and found similar issues with it, I would contact the company you purchased it from about a replacement or a refund.
I gave up on trying to get this one working after it consumed several bottles in a similar manner and did a search on ebay and managed to get a normal pressurised system for about £40-£50.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Superdan114 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:40 am

Thanks. I have contacted hagen (fluval) since the regulator is under warranty for two years after purchase. I have also read that it may have been due to a bad seal between the regulator and canister. But now the canister is empty and dont really fancy paying £11 for a new canister to try...just to find out it doesnt work again!! :roll:

Where did you manage to get a system from at that price? Even this little fluval system cost me just over £50. i have since been looking at making my own using refillable paintball tanks. But i am new to the whole pressurised CO2 and i have decided against it for now. At least until i can get a refund on this one or have the regulator replaced by hagen.

Thanks for the reply
Superdan114

Postby cousin it » Sun May 13, 2012 12:17 pm

it took about 2 weeks to find a regulator that was listed as needing a replacement o ring between the regulator and the bottle which cost £20 and then a empty bottle which cost me £15 add around £10 for postage for both, the bottle did need to be refilled which added another £20 to the cost.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Superdan114 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks cousin it! What about something like this attached to a CO2 cylinder?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-Co2- ... _849wt_952

Is it too simple?

Thanks
Superdan114

Postby cousin it » Sun May 13, 2012 3:24 pm

personally I would hunt down a regulator with dials on it so that you can keep an eye on the level of co2 left in the bottle.
something like this one and a cheap cylinder here
a couple of weeks watching ebay can throw up a very good co2 system for very little outlay, people do not like dirty regulators or cylinders and generally those go for less, the outside of the cylinder being a little rusty is fine so long as it passes pressure testing when filled and in a cupboard you are never going to see it, or if you have a lfs that offers a swapout on refils like the one I use does the chances are you will probably have a completely different cylinder when you get a refil :mrgreen:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Superdan114 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Thankyou! Amazing what you can turn up when you know what you are looking for! So these two items together is all i need? I have the bubble counter, diffuser and check valve. Will that regulator need a new O-ring aswel? Not sure if my lfs have that service but im sure i can find somewhere that will refill the bottle.

Cheers
Dan
Superdan114

Postby Superdan114 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Also, what about going down the CO2 fire extinguisher route? There is place close to me that sells them for £15. 2kg bottle that is full and safety checked. So would not have pay postage or refill costs. Would the regulator you listed be suitable for use with an extinguisher?

Thanks
Dan
Superdan114

Postby cousin it » Sun May 13, 2012 5:25 pm

I am not a fan of the fire extinguisher route, I have read several reports of cylinders failing after a few refils which is why I only use systems that are intended for aquaruims.
the regulator I listed will require an oring to attach it to the bottle, by the looks of the regulator it will probably use one like this
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Superdan114 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Is there anywhere i can get those seals in uk? A new seal may also cure the regulator problem with my fluval system too. you don't by any chance know what kind of seal/o-ring that would require.

Cheers
Dan
Superdan114

Return to Freshwater Discussion