a few questions

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

a few questions

Postby cheapchickens » Sat May 19, 2012 9:58 am

hi all, i'm fairly new to the hobby so learning all the time. I have a few questions if anyone can help :D
firstly I have a nitrate reading of 80ppm ( I think, its hard to tell difference between 40 and 80 on api master test card.) others are 0. I have tested my tap water and this is the same. But in my girlfriends axolotl tank it reads 5-10ppm??? I have 2 filters on my tank, the jumbo that comes on a juwel trigon 350 and also a fluvel 405 cannister. I have added some nitrate remover filter wool but still no change. could my nitrax sponge (which comes in the jumbo) be past it?? Can i clean in aquarium water and re-use or do you have to replace this. I know 80ppm is not mega high but over a prolonged period surely this is not good for my fish. I would like to get it to atleast 10-20ppm. Oh I do 25% weekly water changes as well. Also I have a few live plants, which leads to my next Q. :D I have quite a bit of java fern and a couple of what look like chain sword and also elodia and 1 anubia attached to bogwood. will these not consume my nitrate? At the moment i dont do anything for these plants, i dont have Co2 or ferts. Do i need them? I'm happy to fertilise daily but setting up Co2 could prove expensive will these types be ok without Co2, if not are there any that will? My lighting is 1 t8 marine glo 1 t8 life glo and a 5 led strip. They are switched on for 2-3 hours daily. I'm hoping if I can keep my plants healthy they will start to feed off my nitrate. I also added a phosphate filter pad about a month ago as I had a slight algae outbreak. will this pad effect my plants and will this pad release back into water when it is saturated?? And finally :lol: will my carbon filter pad release anything back into the aquarium when/if it gets saturated? should i replace every 2 weeks like it says on juwel box which i do or can I wash in aquarium water??? Sorry for the long post these questions are bugging me :) thanks in advance hope someone can help
cheapchickens

Re: a few questions

Postby Carylnz » Sat May 19, 2012 10:39 am

If the nitrate matches the tap water then I wouldn't worry about it. Different water supplies have different nitrate readings. The live plants will help.
You do not need CO2 or ferts.
Plants need a light cycle of 8 - 12 hours to photosynthesise properly. If they do not get enough light they cannot do their job.
Having never used nitrate pads (and my tap water is also very high in nitrates) I cannot advise.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cheapchickens » Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

thanks for the response, i have been to the juwel website and it says the active carbon pad has a life span and will release back into the water if not replaced. They recommend every 4 weeks. Should I take this info ( http://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/filter-media.html ) with a pinch of salt?? Also it does not say anything about the nitrate pad having a life span but does say replace every 8 weeks. Could i just rinse in aquarium water and re use then???? My fish are now flashing against objects and my ram has rapid gill movement and her gills are quite open. I have watched them all for hours and they have no sign of parasites or ich. Is this nitrate poisoning? My new nitrate pads on its way but in the meantime can i do a water change with bottled still water? Or will this affect my ph? my kh is 3, ph 7. thanks again :D
cheapchickens

Postby Carylnz » Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 am

Apart from flicking, you often can't physically see parasites as they are too small. The rapid gill movement can be parasites, bacteria, or ammonia burn damage from the ammonia being too high, rather than nitrates.
I would not bother using carbon pads all the time. A wasted expense in my opinion.
If the nitrate pads are not doing the job then I wouldn't bother with them either.
What are the ammonia and nitrite readings? These are more toxic than the nitrate.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cheapchickens » Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 am

hi, the ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 80. But after examing fish again last night the tetras look like they may have white spot. :( It looks like dandruff but just 2-3 spots on each. and the ram had 1or 2 on her as well. I will get the treatment today i hope they'll be ok. any advice appreciated this is a 1st for me. I have read to treat for over 10 days as the parasite has a cycle and i need to medicate while its in free form. thanks again
cheapchickens

Postby Angel Fish » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 am

The length of time needed to medicate depends on the meds you get. If you follow the instructions carefully, you shouldn't have any problems :D
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby cheapchickens » Thu May 24, 2012 6:08 pm

ok, i will thanks . i did a good clean of my sand and tank in general and did probably just over a 30% water change then added the meds. I bought the King British White Spot Control. Dont know how good it is but it was the only one available at the shop. Thanks for your replies hopefully it will be sorted soon, thanks again.
cheapchickens

Postby cheapchickens » Tue May 29, 2012 6:29 pm

ihi i'm having a lot of problems at the moment regarding the whitespot. i have posted in help if anyone can help. thanks
cheapchickens

Return to Freshwater Discussion