Nitrite, please help

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Nitrite, please help

Postby RobVG » Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Established tank. 10 gallon. Five Plattys and a loach. Our first tank.

Every thing has been fine for 3 months but now we have a nitrite spike. No ammonia. We've done 20% water changes daily over the past week and a half. We've added natural plants and the Nitrite is still at the upper end of the scale. We've tried Microbe-lift and Nite-out II. Still not going down.

Can you tell me what is going on and how to remedy the situation?

Thanks much,

RobVG
RobVG

Re: Nitrite, please help

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 am

The tank is 3 months old in total then?
What kind of tank is it?
What kind of filter?
How often have you been testing your water?
What are your usual results?
What's your temperature?
How often do you normally change water and how much?
What maintenance do you do on your filter etc?
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby RobVG » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Yes, we've had the tank for 3 months
The tank is an Aqueon basic10gallon kit with power filter- fiber and carbon filter
Was testing water every two weeks after it established- now daily. 2ppm Nitrite, 0 ammonia
Before there was No ammonia and almost 0 Nitrite
76 degrees
Use to do a 20% change weekly, now 20% daily.
Change the filter element when it looks dirty, usually 3 weeks or more. Water looks very clean.

Nitrite level looks slightly better today.
RobVG

Postby orange guppy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:09 am

Hi,

This may seem like a silly question but what do you mean by filter element? As if you remove all of your filter media at once you will remove the majority of bacteria from your filter and re-cycle the tank, also if you rinse the filter media this should be done in the tank water, ( sorry if you already know this but it's just a suggestion) I just rinse filter sponges and then put them back in.

hope you manage(d) to sort it.
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby RobVG » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi orange guppy.

By "element" I meant the filter cartridge.

Last week I did a 50% water change and Nitrite went to zero. It's remained at zero for a week now.

Thanks for the information.
RobVG

Postby fishypaul » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:28 pm

If its anything like the filter i have on my Marina 95, the cartridges very definately should not be changed after 3 weeks, more like 3 months + and there are 3 cartridges in mine, you only replace 1 at a time and leave it a good 2 weeks plus to change the next. You really can wait until the things are virtually disintegrated to be honest. Much of the tanks good bacteria which eats the nitrites is kept in there. You will get rid of much of the nitrite after a 50% water change as you are effectively diluting it, but it will come back quickly if you are changing the cartridges too quickly, as the good bacteria will be reduced each time.
fishypaul

Postby Tommy Saville » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

I have 2 AquaOne 980 aquaria, with overhead drip filters incorporated in the lid. Fed from a perforated tube with the water circulated by a pump. The filtered water then drops into the tank. There are 3 perforated trays side-by-side, and in each one is a layer of ceramic rings, with plastic foam "sieve" above. I use layers of polyfibre fleece on top of them to filter out suspended matter. The fleece gets dirty and I change it as required, usually weekly. By taking out the dirty wet fleece and putting fresh new dry fleece in, am I removing a lot of beneficial bacteria or is there still enough left in the ceramic rings? I'm having difficulty reducing the nitrate level below 50, which is what's in the Severn-Trent tap water.I'm under the impression that the filter bacteria should reduce nitrate to a more comfortable level. The tanks have been set up about 6 weeks. Maybe I'm too impatient?
Tommy Saville

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:23 pm

There is a lot of bacteria on the fleece as well as the noodles. You can get away with rinsing the fleece and returning it to the filter before you need to throw it out completely. Has it got more than one block of fleece? I would rinse one each time you were cleaning them. eg Rinse the first one out , slide the others) along then put that one at the other end. Repeat this each time. Unless the water flow is reducing, or the water backing up enough to overflow that type of filter, I would not rinse the fleece until it was absolutely necessary.
If your tap water is 50 then you are pretty much stuck with it. Mine is too and it has never been a problem.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Tommy Saville » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:38 am

Carylnz wrote:There is a lot of bacteria on the fleece as well as the noodles. You can get away with rinsing the fleece and returning it to the filter before you need to throw it out completely. Has it got more than one block of fleece? I would rinse one each time you were cleaning them. eg Rinse the first one out , slide the others) along then put that one at the other end. Repeat this each time. Unless the water flow is reducing, or the water backing up enough to overflow that type of filter, I would not rinse the fleece until it was absolutely necessary.
If your tap water is 50 then you are pretty much stuck with it. Mine is too and it has never been a problem.

Thanks for that advice. I've decided to install a nitrate-removal filter unit to use when making water changes.(I already have the tap water filtered through a Moby5 chlorine-removal filter, not exactly HMA but not far off). I think that will get the nitrates down.
Tommy Saville

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 am

You can get nitrate removal pads that will be cheaper than a specific nitrate removing filter.
Having no chlorine added to my water supply I have no need to add anything to my tank. Although my tank has what is considered high nitrates, it has never been a problem. The fish don't seem to mind and most of mine are geriatric so they are not dying young. I do not have any problems with algae either.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion