Dwarf gourami.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Dwarf gourami.

Postby cobden28 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Last week I added a male dwarf gourami to my tropical community tank. I would have liked to get him a female, but my LFS said they don't stock females; they don't sell well aparrently , because of their duller colouring,

'El Sid', as we've christened the new arrival, seems to have settled down OK in the tank with the other fish, but I'm a bit puzzled as to his colour change. The rear end of his body has brilliant red & blue diagonal stripes and at times his throat and belly area change to a really deep blue/grey colour - the contrast between the two colour areas is quite dramatic and distinct.

Why the sudden colour change - is this a good sign, that he's happy in his new surroundings?
cobden28

Re: Dwarf gourami.

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 am

Sounds like it, or he is hopeful of finding a female with which to mate. He will be OK without one though.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jennifer o » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:46 pm

i bought two "male" gouramis a week ago, red honey the colour was.

one of them started to change colour, more blue and green towards the lower end of his body, caught them both wrapped around each other last week and the one that has changed colour has grown a longer pointy dorsal fin.

so ive ended up with a male and female lol

i really hope they breed :)
200l tank - 6 black phantom tetras, 1 golden chinese algae eaters, 2 pleco, 5 harlequin rasboras, 5 platys, 2 silver mollies, 3 panda corys

80l tank - 3 platys, 1 guppy, 4 neon tetras, 2 red honey gouramis

still learning
jennifer o

Postby cobden28 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Six months ago I bought what I was told were three honey gourami, then only just an inch long and too small to be sexed - I just asked the guy in the shop for three of whatever he could catch - they've now grown to a good two and a half inches from nose to tail and all three are nicely plump in the belly region. But I've had my doubts about whether they really are honey gourami as they don't have either the horizontal stripe that a female honey gourami has or the slate-grey throat & belly that the male honey gourami has. At imes of stress their colour is a sort of beige-grey colour but when stress-free they go a brilliant copper-bronze colour, which is very striking.

I'm sure these three aren't honey gourami and I'm more and more coming to think they are the 'Royal Red' colour variant of dwarf gourami as one of my fish books has a picture of this variation and my fish exactly match the illustration in the book.

So....it looks like I now have three female dwarf gourami plus one male. Sid, the dwarf gourami I recently added, is most definitely a male...and in recent days he's been seen to tak a great interest in the other three as his colouration has become very intense :D . As yet I've not seen signs of Sid building a bubble-nest but does anyone have a picture of a dwarf gourami bubble nest so's I know what to look out for?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 am

I don't have a pic but it will look like fine bubbles caught up in a mass of leaves, twigs and bits and pieces. Sort of like a foamy spit glob on the surface somewhere :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion