New tropical keeper have I got enough?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

New tropical keeper have I got enough?

Postby Dextersmummy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi nice to meet u all :) I have a fluval Venezia 190 corner tank and a fluval 206 I think it is that came with it. I have gone tropical fOr the first time and I have the bug :) so many fish I want tho I'm not sure if I have to many already please can I run the list by u and u can maybe advise? Thanks x

5 neon tetras
2 mickey mouse platties
3 mollies one male large two small female.
1 male Siamese fighter really quiet placid phew! Lol
2 dwarf guromis one neon blue on red both male
2 zebra loaches
1 sucking loach
2 bronze corys
5 harlequin Rasbora
And a pleco still small in size may need rehoming sometime? :(
My tempratire is 25. Does this all sound ok?

I had goldfish all my life and know how they mess a filter up that's what I'm afraid off will all of these grOw much larger?
Dextersmummy

Re: New tropical keeper have I got enough?

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:20 am

Sounds good to me and they are all small to medium sized fish (except the plec, depending on what it is). If the plec is actually a bristlenose, Ancistrus sp, it will be good in there. Depending on how long it has been set up, I assume it has cycled? If so, then I would increase the number of neons, loaches and corys. All these fish do better in a larger group (6 or more). The loaches will come out and play and provide hours of entertainment.
What sex are the platys? Unless they are both the same sex, you need a ratio of 1 male to 2 or more females, like the mollies. Two males will often have one eventually dominate the other and harass it to death.
Do not add any more fish though if the tank has not finished cycling!
None of these fish (unless the plec is really a plec) produce half as much poo as goldfish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion