Planaria treatment test

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Planaria treatment test

Postby cousin it » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 pm

I reciently noticed quite a few planaria in one of my tanks that houses a fair few shrimp as well as some nerite snails and ember tetras, I decided to give Genchem No-Planaria a try instead of flubenzinol mainly because I have read several reports that it is shrimp and snail friendly, The product arrived today from Chris at Plymouth Discus and I administered the first dose to the tank at about 5pm by 10pm tonight there is no sign of the planaria to be seen and the shrimp are still very happily searching for food in the tank and the nerites are showing no signs of distress, I still have 2 more doses to administer to complete the full treatment but so far so good.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Planaria treatment test

Postby cousin it » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 pm

24 hours after the first dose and there is no signs of any planaria in the tank and all the shrimp and fish are still looking fine.
I have followed the instructions on the packet and have applied a second dose at 50% strength, so far no issues with any of the inhabitants, apart from the planaria :rofl:
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 am

Sounds good but why the need to use chemicals on the planaria? I understood they were harmless and only a problem if you were overfeeding so lessening the food usually cleared them up. Do shrimp not eat them?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:21 am

This treatment is a natural product made from betel nut palm extract, the other option would be to dose the tank with flubenzinol dog wormer which is potentially harmful to the shrimp and snails in the tank.

The shrimp will not touch them neither will the fish that are in the tank, over time they become fairly unsightly and can be a risk to the young shrimp which is a risk I would rather not take, I decided to use this after noticing a couple of shrimp dying for no aparent reason, but there was a fair few planaria on them when I noticed them, with varying reports about planaria and shrimp it was time to act rather than attempt to reduce the population by other methods.

They started to crop up in this tank when I swapped to a moss foreground on mesh, uneaten food was making its way under the mesh to where the shrimp could not reach it and the planaria started to multiply from there, the only other time I have experienced a similar problem was the last time I used a moss foreground on mesh, this tank is going back to a sand foreground again once the treatment has been finished.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 am

Ah thanks for the explanation. I can see the food getting stuck in the moss being a problem. We do not get tropical shrimp here so I have no experience with them. I wonder what the planaria do to the shrimp that they don't do to fish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cousin it » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:43 am

The main thing that I had to do with this treatment was to switch off co2 and carry out a small water change prior to each treatment to maintain water quality.

I am not 100% sure if the planaria are attacking healthy shrimp or if they are attacking shrimp already weakened by other issues, my out break cropped up while waiting for a replacement led unit to be delivered and by mistake I was sent a marine strip rather than a plant one, during the week of very low lighting that happened they seemed to apear in large numbers, now following the treatment I have no visable planaria.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Return to Freshwater Discussion