Red Honey Gouramis Breeding Possibly

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Red Honey Gouramis Breeding Possibly

Postby FishBore » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi All
I am very new to keeping tropical fish and bought 2 red honey gouramis a few weeks ago. I had no idea what sex they were but now know they are male and female. I believe it is really not a good idea to keep just males together, they will fight constantly unless the tank is very big and they are both able to command their own corner of the tank. Since getting my male he has changed colour completely and I think this is because he is in breeding mode! His fins are black and he is the deepest orange colour with a very dark throat and underbelly. He has taken over the top corner of the tank and is busy making a bubble best!
The female has also turned a very deep orange (no black fins) and is as round as a house so I presume she is ready to spawn any day now.
He swaps from being aggressive towards her one minute to curling around her the next. He is also chasing the other fish away from 'his' corner.
Is this normal breeding behaviour?
Will having my filter on break up the bubble nest?
Advice Please!
Many Thanks!!
FishBore

Re: Red Honey Gouramis Breeding Possibly

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 am

Depends on where he has built compared to where the filter is and water flow. They like calm, slow moving water. I doubt fry will survive in a community tank anyway.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Red Honey Gouramis Breeding Possibly

Postby FishBore » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:29 am

Since the last post my gouramis did breed and after a day or so tiny fry were visible so to give them a chance I decided to remove them to a small growing tank which had been cycled for QT purposes and upto now the fry are thriving. I am feeding powdered flakes, brine shrimp and there is live food in there too. There are a couple of plants and they appear to be doing ok which has taken me by complete surprise!
:wink:
FishBore

Return to Freshwater Discussion