New Tank

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

New Tank

Postby Darrel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Evening All

Loved keeping Tropical Fish for many years in my younger days (20 odd years ago) but pobably not with the time and patience I have now (probably had other priorities), three months ago the Mrs convinced me to start again so we invested in a 180 Rio, all of a sudden the joy and the worry of it all came flooding back, the hobby (for want of a better word) has improved greatly and I just want to say thanks to this site and its' forum and members for making it so much easier, currently obsessed with our 6 Tiger Barbs, 6 Mossy/Green Tiger Barbs, 1 gold Nugget, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Rumy Nose Tetras and one Siamese Algae Eater (?).

One question, is there any point in keeping the Charcoal medium in the in-built filter, wandered the internet but I can't find a definite answer?

Cheers

Darrel
Darrel

Re: New Tank

Postby englishmx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Darrel wrote:One question, is there any point in keeping the Charcoal medium in the in-built filter, wandered the internet but I can't find a definite answer?

In a word......NO :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 am

Why no point Mike?

Removes dissolved organics and staining. Once exhausted becomes bacterial media?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 am

I use it in new tanks for about six weeks, then remove it. I do however, keep a couple of activated pads in my spares kit in case I have to medicate or if any other problems arise.

It doesn't hurt to leave it in, but I worry about minor spikes if I do have to change one that's being used as "housing" for friendly bacteria :?
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 am

You can just remove the one that you have in now if it's been in for months and replace it with a better biological sponge. I'm not sure if it affects the flow rate if you just remove it and don't replace it.

Carbon removes medication after you've treated a tank so I'd keep one for that reason as has been said.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby englishmx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:35 am

san-ho-zay wrote:Why no point Mike?

Removes dissolved organics and staining. Once exhausted becomes bacterial media?

I suppose I meant No, it's not essential :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:53 am

I go through phases of using it and not using it, i.e. I put it in and forget to change it. ;)

Carbon sponges are OK, but the cheapest way to use it long term is a fine mesh bag with activated carbon. The carbon is cheap as chips, even from my local pet shop. Certainly cheaper than manufacturers' sponges and probably more effective.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Darrel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Cheers

As suggested think I'll replace it with a better bacterial medium and keep some on hand for when it's needed.
Darrel

Postby ady » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:52 pm

welcome to the site........it's where a fair few fish nuts can yap about the hobby and not get told they obsessed :rofl:

enjoy ya new tank and re found hobby...theres not many wives say "i know why dont you put a big fish tank in the house".....thankfully mine allowed one....then 2...then 3.......then CRACK....then there was 2.... :(

nice tank you got there....i hope to upgrade mine next year,i want a big 5 footer to replace the 4 ft....grovel time methinks :lol:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Freshwater Discussion